Four Four(4/4) – All Wound Up 7″

4_4_front.jpg4_4_back.jpg4_4_label_a.jpg4_4_label_b.jpg

A recent find from Justin at collectorscum.com. That this haven’t been comped yet beats me. All Wound Up is a great Costelloesque powerpoper. But what really makes this record is the flip. Systematic is a killer! The farfisa and that hook laden chorus: Systematic S-s-s-systematic. Hell yeah! Stutter rules. It gets stuck in your head after a few seconds.

The only thing I managed to dig up about 4/4 is that they where from N.Y. Any New Yorker around here remember these guys?

Year: 1980
Label: Self Released
All Wound Up.mp3
Systematic.mp3

This entry was posted in 1980. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Four Four(4/4) – All Wound Up 7″

1. Pingback: Resident Clinton

2. E. says:

Yer so right brudda – very very easy going and with a lot of hit-potential, makes one jump around in undies!

3. EddieFuror says:

Anyone have info on this? I have never heard of them. How many of these exist?

Wish I could answer your question Eddie. It\’s self released. 500?

5. Justin says:

This is an under-rated record for sure. The main guy in the band now makes fancy pickups for electric guitars. I contacted him a while back, and he had no spare copies of the record. If I recall correctly, he said they played Max’s a bunch of times. I can’t seem to find a copy of the email for additional details. I think I have one more trade copy if anyone’s interested.

Thanks for the info Justin!

7. The gang says:

Hey Jeffy Ur ar Herooooo!

8. Paul says:

That record has been in my head for over 30 years. It was released 29 years ago, but I was the bass player in 4/4. Systematic was supposed to be the A side, as would be indicated by it being on the top of the sleeve. I think only 1000 were pressed, and many of them went overseas. The picture on the sleeve was taken in my loft in Brooklyn. Yes, we played Max’s many times, as well as CBGB’s, Gildersleeves, Peppermint Lounge, Rock Lounge, and several others. We also tripped to Boston to play at the Rathskeller a couple of weekends, and New Jersey to play at Hitsville. We were on the scene for about 2 years. Oh, the keyboard was a Panther. Farfisas were way overpriced then. I only have one copy of the record, too.

• Anonymous says:

> Peter Florance, guitar and vox, Cathy Harrington, keyboards and vox, John Bellon, drums, Paul Tusa, Bass; later Pete Randazzo on drums.
      > Yes, we put this out with rave reviews from WNYU, WFMU, NME and some Boston stations and press. They loved the organ, too, thank you. It’s an Elke Panther Combo.
      > We opened for all the best at Max’s, CBGB, Danceteria and every Manhattan club on our circuit, and of course, were on the Uncle Floyd Show. Hilly Krystal and Georgio Gomelsky wanted to manage us, but it was a lawyer that failed to get us a real deal.
      > Peter invented some great pickups for Voodoo, and worked with some Japanese bands.
      > I went on to play and record with my band Venus II (myself with Mary Mac on TwinTone records), putting out 2 records: “Oh Boy” and later “ShaLaLa” with Chris Stamey and Chris Stamey Group. I was a member of The Waitresses, Ivan Julian and the Outsets, John King (of Gang of Four)’s Mechanic Preachers,Sara Lee, Cynthia Sley, Kenny Martin of Defunkt and recorded for Otis Blackwell, among many other great people. Will be presently showing up as keyboardist with The Cosmopolitans (How To Keep Your Husband Happy) in the next year for a reunion tour.
      > John Bellon has George Usher Group, Shoot The Doctor and Justine Johns to his playing credit as well his own music recorded for children.
      > I still love this record! How is it that it is here? Are you re-releasing it?! Let us know!
      > Peace, CH

9. Paul says:

Thanks for keeping the memory alive!

10. David says:

I own a copy of this record! Got it from the keyboard player oh so many moons ago.

11. MarkBlack says:

Named my punk rock record/dj night after this single.
    Always preferred Systematic to All Wound Up, but All Wound Up
    sounded better. Maybe the next time I do it, we’ll call it Systematic.