The Stimulators – Loud Fast Rules 7″

stimulators_front.jpgstimulators_back.jpgstimulators_label_a.jpgstimulators_label_b.jpg

12 year old Harley Flanagan on drums here. He later joined one of the worst band to appear in the 80′s: Cro Mags. But here he manage to cranck out some classy and sloopy punkypowerpop togheter with: Anne Gustavsson, Patrick Mack and Denise Mercedes.

Both songs are over 3 minutes and would normally dissolve from my short attention span. Why they don’t I can’t really put my finger on.

Stimulators released a live cassete on ROIR and an even rarer 7inch after this that got two songs from the ROIR tape. All scans are up here except for the insert. The front sleeve is one of my all time faves along with Insults-Stiff Love.

Year: 1980
Label: Slef Released
Loud Fast Rules.mp3
Run Run Run.mp3

This entry was posted in 1980. Bookmark the permalink.

50 Responses to The Stimulators – Loud Fast Rules 7″

1. Pingback: Good Bad Music For Bad, Bad Times!

2. E. says:

Excellent job! One of my fave 7″s – BUT I DON’T WON IT!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS??? HOW UNJUST IS GOD! I ACCUSE HIM!!!!!

PS: Cro-Mags were brilliant, you Popper!

3. E. says:

won = own. God punished me instantly. I will now become Buddhist. Buddhists are nice people with a good income.

4. Need Modern? says:

yep, finally someone speaks it out: the CRO-MAGS were freeken baaaad…..

5. Mat Gard says:

I picked up the 2nd ep a few years ago for a few bucks at Princeton Record Exchange. Not great, but cool just because of what it is. Iggy cover is good tho’. By the way, supposedly, the Stimulators got a throw away mention on the Square Pegs TV show.

6. E. says:

In order to honour your guys appreciation of CRO-MAGS, I just posted a bit on them on my blog. You’ll find it gracefully here: http://goodbadmusic.blogspot.com/2006/09/cro-mags-sign-of-times-10ep-no-label.html

7. john y? says:

I could never see the fuss over cro-mags either,I like the Stimulators though.

8. Jim says:

Great record!! I picked one of these up a few months back in a trade. Anybody know how many of these were made?

9. Ollie Stench says:

Man, I had this in the early 80′s, bought it for about $3.00, traded it off for some shitty zinesor something in the late 80′s. Now it sells for way more $$$ than I could ever justify.

I saw the Cro Mags in about 1987. One of the worst shows I’ve ever been to.

10. silentuntilnow says:

The Stimulators on vinyl just doesn’t capture how fucking incredible they were live. Loud Fast Rules didn’t come off pop live. And they had a female guitarist, which made them all the more kickass (I say that as a once young girl who got spit on regularly and hit with beer bottles for playing guitar).

11. Nick says:

Hey silentuntilnow …

Good on ya !!!
    I just hope you spit back.
    Stop by and see her again at cb’s next week.
    No Anne or Pat though.

12. Nick says:

Sorry for the double, computer lied.

13. silentuntilnow says:

Really? I’m sorry I live a more than a bit far away to go do that! Another person I thought surely was dead. I’m glad to know she’s not only still kicking but still playing.

14. silentuntilnow says:

Hold on a minute: didn’t CB’s close last week?

15. Vale Tudo says:

Are you out of your MIND !!!!
    Cro-mags were the seeds to NYHC

Yeah they did unfortunatly. And look what came after Cro-Mags. Pumped up macho bands that sounded the same. They spoiled the fun. Gorilla Biscuit where good though.

17. E. says:

Gorilla Biscuit – hahaha. THE WORST.

Ha ha Erich :D! You REALLY need to update your taste. Liten to GB and you’ll hear they where the only band from the late 80s NYHC scene that had something good to offer both lyric wise and music wise. And that Walter later went on to form one of the best band of the 90s: Quicksand says something.

19. E. says:

HAHAHAHAHAHA – what the heck is Quicksand?
    My only fave band from Revelation (Boyscout HC): CHAIN OF STRENGTH.
    YMCA – Hitler Version! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fghUKDi2lfc&mode=related&search= WATCH AND LEARN!!!!!!!

20. In the main post they failed to mention I’m not only on the cover and played drums but were opening for THE BAD BRAINS TONIGHT AT CBGB. Last day Oct 31st 2006.

Come check me out myspace/Originalhardcoremma

HF

21. Petter says:

Used to like GB back when they where playing, not so much anymore though. A REALLY good (musicvise that is) NYHC record must be YOuth of Todays We´re not in this alone. Loud, fast, intense but not to much hardrock. Quicksand???? Worst band ever! Great site!!!!!!! Kör hårt!

22. maxfrost says:

Patty Mack–twenty-five years later and I still miss the son of a bitch.

23. YOUR ALL A BUNCH OF IDIOTS HAHAHAH

YO
    WHEN UR A KID U SIT AND MAKE MUSIC FOR FUN NOT FOR CRITICS OR TO MAKE MONEY JUST CAUSE YOUR INSPIRED TO DO SO, FOR FUN…
    IF UR LUCKY MAYBE IT COMES OUT..
    YEARS LATER IDIOTS WITH NO LIVES STILL SIT AND CRITISIZE IT HAHAHAHAA U PEOLE GOT NO FUCKIN LIVES HAHAHA AY YOUR STILL TALKIN ABOUT US AND OR ME ALL THESE YEARS LATER SO I AND OR WE MUSTA DONE SOMETHING RIGHT??! OR YOU PEOPLE REALLY HAVE NOTHING AT ALL BETTER TO DO HAHAHA AND ARE USELESS FUCKS WITH NO LIVES SITTING ROUND CHIRPIN ABOUT SOME OLD ASS SHIT FROM YEARS AGO HAHAHAH
    PITYFULL
    PEACEOUT
    HF

24. Chata Ortega says:

NOT TO STIMULATED BY THIS, BUT…CRO-MAGS RUUULED WHEN YOU WERE 14-15 AND THE FIRST LP CAME OUT. a SALUTE ALSO TO NORWAY ON THEIR FLAG WAVING DAY YESTERDAY. DO THE FLEKSNES MOSH!

25. Chata Ortega says:

PS! Peter you can delete my comments above xpt the one in BOLD(like me), I fight the computer, didn’t knoe it stored my bollocks; I thought it lost it(like me). Sorry for this! Halle-lujah, Halle-lujah!

26. Julie(n) says:

I am perplexed as to why you folks just ignored Harley’s putting a post on here. No wonder he put up another one which was deservedly obnoxious. If you all are so interested in early punk, Harley surely is one person to listen to, even if you don’t like the Cro-Mags. And the Stimulators were great live, totally authentic.

27. sderoski says:

I think it is great that Harley posted here. The Stims were my first all ages show. Loud Fast Rules is the greatest song ever.

28. Shredder says:

awesome.

my cousin Dave Id of the Mad (rip) brought this to l.a. when it came out. at the time i remember thinking “this is neither fast nor all that loud–try ‘drug me’ by the dk’s” but what really stands out is the singing—this guy’s got a cool crooning thing going on! what a special record, right down to that whispered “loud fast…rules!” at the end.

the amazing dave went on to help break another band, the bad brains, before passing away. more about him here:

• sderoski says:

I saw the mad too. They played with von lmo at max’s. I met george but not daveor any of the others, and they were great. One of my best memories of nyc.

29. Tony Slug says:

LOL @ Cro-mags comment :D

30. geoff hutch says:

We saw every show back in the day. The Stims wrote a song about us kids from Summit N.J. called “dancing in the front lines”. They used to smuggle little Harley into the clubs in the base drum case.
    Long live Max’s! Hey don’t forget that Nick Marden replaced Anne in the end, and Patrick was really sweet R.I.P.

31. Harley says:

Cro-Mags one of the worst bands of the 80′s? I could think of several bands that would fit that statement. You apparently have the worst taste in music and no appreciation for classic NYHC. Get a clue you poser

If you can’t take that some people think your band sucks I guess it’s time to change hobby.

33. Johnny says:

I bought the first Cro-Mags lp when it came out and i was so dissapointed. Then, i saw the “We Gotta Know” video and couldn’t stop laughing. My girlfriend said Harley had the short guy complex! A dwarf with tattoos acting though is always big fun. Then there’s hare krishnas and heroin. Thanks Harley and crew, Cro-Mags=Hilarious!

34. Johnny says:

Oh ya! You should reissue the Stimulators recordings Harley. This is way better than your “classic” heavy metal band Cro-Mags!

35. Not-a-Cromag-fan says:

I agree wholeheartedly, the Cromags did nothing for me. However, I loved the fucking Stimulators. Who gives a fuck if I don’t like the Cromags, there were plenty of people that loved them.

36. Pingback: annabananarchy.com

37. Pingback: Loud Fast Rules « Televerket

38. My group once supported The Stimulators at The Project Arts Centre in Dublin in 1980. We had a deal that they could use our backline gear for a small fee (since they weren’t bringing any of their own on tour). They ripped us off, as their manager refused point-blank to pay us after the show. Harley Flanagan even threw our drummer’s drum sticks into the audience, as though they were his own, and we were never compensated. It wasn’t like our drummer was rich. What wankers, especially their manager – and Harley Flanagan!

39. Andy says:

“CRO-MAGS represented the intellectual side of NYHC.” That’s a joke right? Then again it’s not saying much is it..?

40. Ian Langille says:

Personally, I liked “Age Of Quarrel”. I can see why somebody who frequents this page might not be into the Cro-Mags, but I can also think of worse bands from the eighties. A lot of them. Anyways, this Stimulators stuff is great, thanks and keep up the good work!

41. BigBob says:

Hey harley your so right you guys did make music for all the right reasons…I was there actually hurled you on to the stage at a dead kennedys show..at club 57/irving plaza…..had mad crush on your aunt denise who would only dance with me to to many creeps….how is she …she rocked….keep it up …actually met u at an exploited. Show a couple years back in the afternoon at the continental….my daughter was in the pit in a wheelchair…..loud fast rules…

42. I also thought it a terrific record when it came out. In their case, being from NYC was a handicap, just as being young and talented counted for nothing in L.A. until ’79 or so.

43. Tony says:

Cro mags rule fuck all of you! Youth crew bitch Harley was the first skin in NYCHC at 12 what the fuck were you doing at 12

44. Tony says:

It’s always funny to me that people from Sweden and other parts of Europe hate on so called tough guy hardcore. It’s easy to scream from the suburbs right? If your an inner city kid living in poverty and you find hardcore it’s not fun and it’s not cute you fighting fucking thugs and street people everyday. You would be fighting them regardless of scene but to be involved In punk made it a step worse. You people preach punk is free and individual but when something your not fimilar with AKA poverty and all it entails you call it macho. Ever been poor and had to fight to get a bite to eat? They got into hardcore and punk and adapted it to there environment

45. Tony says:

And one more reply to your old if you can’t take people not liking your band you posted to Harley that’s fine I don’t like some bands of the hardcore scene either but to say macho pumped up as an excuse is dumb hardcore to you is something different. They adapted every day life to it they lived hardcore if you don’t like the music fine but don’t talk shit about being macho until you had to fight for looking the way they did just to walk down the block

46. Chano says:

My late words on a early post: I never liked The Stims that much. It has to do mainly with Patrick Mack since i can’t stand his singing style. Cro-Mags and “macho” NYHC: well, i like the 1985 demo by the Cro-Mags cuz it’s rawer and still more linked to the original NYHC vibe. By the time they recorded and released the LP, things were on a different level already. “macho” NYHC is something i never really got into, not because of some kind of “inferiority complex” or because i’m a peace-anarcho-politically correct-jerk, but because it was (and still is) a fake stance. It could have been real for NY street thugs like Cro-Mags, Agnostic Front, Warzone and the likes but 99% of the so-called Youth Crew (the Revelation scene) came from the middle class and was just trying to act tough and street-wise. That’s how i see it. Thanks for your time… :)

47. Tony says:

Chano your defiantly Right. I love Youth of today for the music they made but the stance always felt fake. They were from conneticut and as youths took the bus to NYC. But it’s hard for me to fault them they got engulfed in the scene and became a part of it. Although they weren’t street kids like the aboved mentiond bands playing and hanging out in that area they adapted the style. Most revelation bands are shit. Schism released some great EPs like Judge New York crew and project x straight edge revenge

48. Pingback: PUNK IN LOVE | yogirisky2