Mary Monday – I Gave My Punk… 7″

marymonday_front.jpgmarymonday_back.jpgmarymonday_label_a.jpgmarymonday_label_b.jpg

This is a re-post from April the 29th 2006. Added more scans and I Gave My Punk Jacket To Rickie since it’s not available at James site anymore.

I know that James over at the excellent MP3 blog Worthless Trash posted the a-side “I Gave My Punk Jacket to Rickie” so head over there and pick it up. Here’s the equally excellent b-side. This was one of John Peels(may he rest in peace) favourite records. The back of the sleeve is hold togheter with two small safety pins. How punk rock!

Year: 1977
Label: Malicious
I Gave My Punk Jacket To Rickie.mp3
Popgun.mp3

This entry was posted in 1977. Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Mary Monday – I Gave My Punk… 7″

1. English Paul says:

YES !!!. Sheer brilliance

2. James says:

Peely wasn’t wrong often, other great punky things in his box included Some Chicken, Users, Anti-Social and the Quads, also XL Capris’ “My City Of Sidney” is in there but we’ll forgive him the odd stinker!

3. Andrew W. says:

The Anemic Boyfriends’ “Guys Are Not Proud” 7′ was another rarity in Peel’s stash. DIY-ish Alaskan punk rock (with female vocals) from 1980. My boss lent me the single years ago, and it was only recently I was able to track down rips of both tracks on it.

4. Degenerateen says:

I Gave My Punk Jacket To Ricky is much better than “Popgun.” Tyrades cover “Popgun” on the new P. Trash comp Killed By Trash. I guess they couldn’t do I” Gave My…” since it didn’t appear on a KBD volume. I’ve been playing “My City Of Sydney” so much this last week. I love that song. I have it on Where The Birdmen Flew Revisited #3. It’s really catchy.

5. Johan says:

I loved “I gave my punkjacket to rickie”

One of the best songs ever…

6. Peter says:

Oh my goodness…do I hate guitar solos? Do I?Yes!!
    //Killad av dödenPeter

Ha ha you’re not alone in your hating regarding guitar solos.

8. Peter says:

That´s comforting to hear. I thought I was alone in my hatemosphere.
    //Bored to Death by guitar solosPeter

9. fred says:

Hey I got that Anemic Boyfriends record. A friend didn’t want it, ages ago. Reminds me of D-Day or Suburban Lawns.

10. Oliver says:

Wow, I have loved “I Gave My Punk Jacket” forever! Thank you for posting this. When I played it awhile back for my gf, she thought the vocals sounded a lot like proto-Kathleen Hanna, and when she said that, I could kind of hear it, too. The song sticks in your head. Also, my gf has a cat named Cricket, so we often sing it while we’re playing with him, but change the words a bit: “I gave my punk jacket to Cricky.”

Thanks so much for this post!

11. ebay says:

Mary gave her punk tshirt to Kathy Peck from the Contractions. It will be up for bids soon in the Dirk Dirksen (Mabuhay Gardens) Benefit Auction:

I am still bothered that she gave the jacket to Rickie and she promised it to me a few months before that…oh well.

13. rollin mudd says:

Play “Rickie Boy” at a slower speed and it sounds like Tim Curry fagging it up.

14. Larz Gustafsson says:

Superb!
    Bet the singer is a looker.

The singer was a liar! She promised to give the fucking jacket to me, but ended up giving it to that asshole Rickey! End of fucking story.

16. Bart says:

Does anyone have info on how many copies of this 45 were pressed? cheers

17. bob says:

I’ve had a copy of this one lying around for fucking centuries.
    Can’t say I ever enjoyed the ‘A’ side. Too poseur-ish for me, I’m afraid.
    Popgun is a little better.
    Compared to the REAL stuff out there like the Dead Boys, or Ramones, this is fairly lightweight “Hey let’s jump on the bandwagon for cash” stuff.
    When it came out, record shops couldn’t give this one away. Now it’s collectable. Go figure.

18. elliott says:

John Peel was right. this rocks. usually don’t like it that kind of punk but i’ve opened my mind a bit. now i can’t get i gave my punk jacket out of my head. aaaaaaaaaaa!

19. Lee Winter says:

Been trying in vain to track down a copy of this for years, missed one on ebay about 4 years ago for £100. Been kicking myself in over it since.
    Still have a cassette of John Peel’s show when he played it though.
    Don’t suppose anyone knows a site where one can download these 2 tracks.
    I know I can listen to them online but would love them on my ipod.

Lee the tracks are right here for you to download. What’s the problem?

21. Lee Winter says:

Got them now, a friend told me about ‘Audio hijack’. many thanks!.

You don´t need Audio Hijack. You can just download the mp3s here. How hard can it be :)?

• Bengy says:

Flame me for being thick but can you please tell me/us step by step just how?. I know i can save a copy through quicktime pro but i don’t have it.

Thanks

(Firehose at the ready!)

• The Flakes // Drummer says:

Hi Bengy! RIGHT click the mp3 link and choose “Save as…” then save to whatever destination on your hard drive you want. Works?

• Bengy says:

You bet matey!! Thanks a lot for that. I heard it on John Peel in 1977 and never even got to find out who it was leta alone a copy!!!

Sometime I don’t mind owning up to being a pratt!

Bengy

23. JC says:

Identical voice to Lotus Lame and the Lame Flames. Same person?

24. nazar habib says:

I got a copy in mint condition. I think I paid 10 pence for it 25 years ago

25. Dipshit says:

Dont care wot anyone else thinks this is the mutts nutts……..

26. old punker says:

I have an old 45 – does anyone know how much it’s worth?

27. jefferson svt fan says:

rip rip i loved u mary monday the palms on polk street rawked i lovedu always will punk delxue we miss u all of san fransisco lovedu forever in r hearts mm rawked

• Don Lamb says:

Nice comment Jefferson. My name is Don Lamb, bass player from Street Punks,,a.k.a. (The Bitches) We were the ones who played with Mary. Were you at the palms that night…Mary and I shared an apt right around the corner on pine st…We wrote Popgun and the other tunes with her…Like Blue Jeans and Jelly Beans…Grab it and Squeeze…fun days with a fun lady…I miss her too

28. Edwin Craven says:

I knew Mary Monday very well starting in 1977 when I was a small time promoter of Punk bands in the San Francisco bay area….I published New Wave Mag….got out one issue…Mary was the center fold…I put money into her act Mary Monday and the Bitches. Most don’t realize it …and she has never gotten the credit for it…but Mary brought the Punk scene to San Francisco….she had an incredible gift for promoting herself on a shoe string budget…and was the first person I, or anyone else in San Francisco had ever seen with multicolored hair , (1977) she talked Ness Aquiness, owner of a Filipino restaurant named the Mahbohay Gardens, (spelling.. sorry,) on Broadway in North Beach…(Broadway, at that time, was nothing but sleazy strip clubs,) , into letting her rehearse her Punk Cabaret there during the day when it was closed…it was the end of the Disco era, and you could not find Live Music anywhere in small venues..club owners didn’t want to pay bands , only play records. She had by that time, talked up every “artsy,” person in the area, and lots of people started showing up for the rehearsals to hang out , this started on Sunday afternoons…and Ness…( nice guy,) decided to open up the bar…( punkers drank a lot of Budweiser.) Ness…saw what was happening…a scene was beginning…Sunday was a dead night for the restaurant…so her turned it into a punk club…on Sunday nights….by this time a lot of garage bands had begun to show up…playing for free…anyone could get up on stage…it just began to explode…no one had anywhere else to go…and Ness was selling a lot of Budweiser, then it was Sunday…Monday…and Tuesday..the restaurants dead nights ….then it was seven nights a week…no more restaurant…and the Fab Mab was born…thanks to Mary….unfortunately..as the scene grew…Mary became somewhat of a joke…to be honest…her real talent was promotion…not music…if she had promoted other…more talented acts…she may have become a driving managerial force in the scene…I gave her that little bit of money to record..to be honest..I didn’t really believe in her music..I just liked her..underneath her, “put on Punk exterior,” she was truly a very sweet person…So many people have been given credit for, or taken credit for..starting, what Mary started, Dirk Dirksen… Howie Kline…(major ass hole, editor of my one issue mag.. so I should know.) This is the first time I have ever blogged on any site…. but I wanted to set the record straight. It warms my heart…that so many people love her little record…for those not in the know..Mary died in Alaska, of breast cancer. I would have liked to say that I had stayed in touch with her…but I didn’t…by 1981…I had moved onto other things…and other people…for me, the scene, had been an interest…not an obsession …and something I am not proud of…the last time I saw Mary…I was on Union Street…booking travel to the Caribbean…she was walking by and saw me in through the window…Union Street is a posh street…I was in a suit and tie…she was dressed very punk…stuck her head in to say high…and I was embarrassed in front of the agent by her appearance…and was dismissive of her…she looked a little heart, and said,” I just wanted to say hi.” I have thought of that moment many times over the years…and am so sorry for it..I am a much better person now..than I was then…we had even been lovers one night…just one night…Mary…and the soul that made you….I apologize from the bottom of my heart…and I hope that putting the record straight…and giving you the credit that you deserve and never got…somehow makes up for it….love you Mary.

• Karl Kotas says:

Edwin…. you’re still alive?
      ….Anyway…. I concur with Edwin that Mary Monday was one of the first, if not THE first person to bring punk-rock to SF. I did a some poster art for her at this link:

• Chi Nette says:

Mary was my friend. I loved her. And she was – despite a tough faux exterior – a very sweet girl with a big heart. I miss her. “Rude, baby, don’t you know that I care. Rude, baby, don’t you know that I’m there. R – U – D – E…gonna wash your mouth out with soap!”

29. Stephen (AI) says:

Thanks Edwin for your memories of Mary. I for one appreciate your honesty.
    It seems that many people sneered at Mary back in the day.
    I wish she were alive now to see how many people love this perfect little record.
    It will outlive every one of her detractors.

30. Monger says:

Anyone who thinks “Popgun” isnt amazing driving punk rock..and harder than anything that simps like the clash ever did..needs their head examined.

31. Mr Miserable says:

Edwin,Thank you for the back round on Mary. I heard “I gave my punkjacket to Rickie” on live 365 internet radio SF Punk 77 in 2014 and love the tune. I have not been able to find out much on Mary Monday since then. Mr Miserable the music lover.