Fear – Now Your Dead/I Love Livin In The City 7″

fear_front.jpg fear_back.jpg
fear_label_a.jpgfear_label_b.jpg

It’s a classic so it needs to be posted though I doubt that there’s anyone here who haven’t heard Fears first masterpiece. Lee Ving has to be one of the most offensive and brilliant persons to emerge from the early LA scene and to me all his charisma can be heard in his incredible voice. Take a look at Fears appearance in the Decline… movie and you get what I mean. So fucking funny and nasty to the audience. Where are dudes like Lee these days?

But Lee would’ve been nothing without the rest of this genius bunch who seems to be one of the most talented bands to ever come out of the early US punk rock.

The first Fear LP is on my top 5 list of the best punk rock albums of all time. Brilliant lyrics, incredible song writing and amazing production. An LP, just like the first Scream LP, I just can’t get tired of.

I’m sorry to report that the Fuck Christmas reissue don’t sound as good as the original.

Year: 1978
Label: Criminal
I Love Livin In The City.mp3
Now Your Dead.mp3

This entry was posted in 1978. Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Fear – Now Your Dead/I Love Livin In The City 7″

1. Pingback: Reloda

2. Pingback: Drunk And Armed

3. Monger says:

When i was in highschool,around 1986,a classmates father did extra work in movies as a biker type and became friends with lee.I mentioned to this friend that next time he saw Lee,to hit him up for a copy of this..he did..and gave me a unplayed copy for nothing.I later traded it off stupidly,but if anyone sees the one with “hey James…have a beer with FEAR”on the back…give the fucker back! James was the classmate,BTW…..

4. iq32 says:

Hey great record ….Fear was THE best band live..aggressive offensive funny and flat out great.Made it a point to see these guys everytime they did the east coast because you were guaranteed a chaotic great time.Wish there were more bands like this now.

5. stinky82 says:

After these two odes to FEAR, I must say their “the record” LP 1982 is unlistenable for me. I don´t know why but together with MOURNING NOISE records they are two old bands I don´t like to. But this EP is relatively good.

Understand if you don’t like MOURNING NOISE but the Fear LP…

7. iq32 says:

I’d have to agree that the somewhat sterile production on “The Record” dosen’t thrill me either.They were just something that had to be experienced live to fully appreciate.There’s some great live stuff from ’82 on the punkrecords.org site that give an idea of what they really sounded like.Most of the fun was their aggressive musical attack and Vings verbal abuse of the audience.

8. Erich says:

The LP is phenomenal – I like it much better than the 7″, actually.

9. fred says:

This 45 contains a *slightly* censored version of City, if you listen, you will notice that the swear words are slightly muffled. That was so it would get radio play, which it did on Rodney. On one of the CDs, maybe Have a Beer, they released the uncensored version, with the swears all very loud.

There is a Fear release coming up that has a full LP of early material called Lost In Paradise, it is recorded much *punkier* than the eventual first LP, which was released 4 years after this single. Some guy put it on his website, but Lee had him take it down to release it officially. DOn’t know if it’s out yet. Lucky for me, I found it on the site. It was only up for a short time.

• Aaron says:

Is it still up anywhere? If not, could you burn/send/rip me a copy of it? I would be more than willing to return the favor somehow, be it a small donation or if there’s anything you’re looking for…let me know (if you get this).
      Thanks!

10. Steve says:

Killer post! I totally agree that ‘The Record’ is one of the best Punk albums ever. I’m lucky enough to own the record (haha)!

11. Frog in the Blender says:

holy fucking shiat! got to this site via good bad music which I uptil now thought was the best blog around. thank you thank you thank you for all the awesome music on here.

12. Yo Mama says:

They had a different drummer when this was made.
    His name was Johnny Backbeat and he was a drummer
    for Mitch Rider and the Detroit Wheels (old R&R).
    His beats weren’t as good as Spit Stix. This Ep
    is OK, but the Record is a str8 up classic.

13. chadwick says:

please post the first fear demo tape if you have it…crustpunks has or makes copies of it for a few bucks but the sound quality of their tapes is beyond ripoff shit…or i could just wait around for the lost in paradise record that fred mentioned…

14. pdx_tim says:

I didn’t care much for Fear when I was a kid (though their appearance on New Wave Theater left an impression), but I love “the Record” now that I’m an old fart.

15. degenrateen says:

Best record to wake up to ever?

16. Frenzy Army says:

FEAR is the best punk band period. Anyone ever hear the track “Mengele”? Hilarious and so is “Strangulation”.

Strangulation is one sick fucking song…I can’t listen to it.

18. Emerson says:

I got this from a friend, signed by Ving, and then gave it back to him to sell it so he could pay his rent. Damn you Louie!

19. Evan says:

just played a show with Philo’s band (Fighting Cocks)
    awesome guy

20. b e h j a n says:

One thing I wonder about , is :
    DID F E A R RECORD SONGS IN THE STUDIO * between * their 1st 7″ in 1978 and their 1st LP ?? Or were they on a hiatus after having made the classic 1st 7″ …??!!
    -actually that 1st LP was rec`d only 2-3 years later but my point is:
    ANY similar-to-their-1st 7″-stuff ever rec`d in a studio ??????????
    Have asked this a few times but apparently no one knows about this or whatever…

• The Flakes // Drummer says:

I have a demo done in 1978 that is pretty damn great. Loads of powerpop/glam punk on it. Try to find it. Maybe it’s been booted too?

• Spit Stix says:

The “I Love Livin In The City” 7″ was recorded in late 1977.
      Philo and I joined the band in February of 1978.
      The 3 months between recording that single and Feb ’78, Lee tried other musicians for the final line-up. The 1978 “Paradise” recordings were done in Philo’s garage on a 4 track reel to reel. Lee sang into a metal trash can for reverb. Not too long after finishing those tracks we recorded a few demos with 2 brothers in LA who ripped off one of Philo’s songs turning it into “Johnny Are You Queer?” first for the Go Go’s, and when the Go Go’s found out it was stolen, they gave it to Josie Cotton. 1980 we recorded demos with Richie Podler and Bill Cooper at American Recording Co. Haven’t heard the Podler/Cooper demos in 30 years. The demos with the brothers include “Hank Williams Was Queer”, We Got To Get Out Of This Place”, “I Don’t Care About You”, (without cursing) and I’m not sure what else. Hope this helps. SS

• Monger says:

How do we hear any of this,and what were the paradise demos? Ive heard the 3 blind mice song and waiting for the gas…and was anything else recorded when the 7″ was recorded?

• Hey, Spit!

I am going to admit I was intimidated by FEAR (as intended).

I begrudged them their professionalism even though that was exactly what I aimed for with the young bands I managed,
        F Word! and The Simpletones.

I think you’re referring above to legendary producer Richie Podolor. I knew part of the background to “Johnny, Are You Queer?” but did not know the song originated with Philo. Glad I was not caught up in that mess and not surprised it ended up on Bomp (who turned down Berlin’s “I’m a …” because Terri Nunn was a working actress!).

I suppose the unmentionable legends (in their own minds) were the Paine Brothers. You can’t say L.A. wasn’t full of characters at this time.

Ha ha yeah it really is time for a new post :).

22. b e h j a n says:

PETER, do you remember what blog/place put that 1978 FEAR demo on ???
    THat would be great to know (my “Google” research brought up NOTHING)
    Thanks!!!

It’s in .flac format. You have to google it. If you use Mac there’s a plug in so you can play it in iTunes and there’s a couple of converters so you can make mp3s out of it.

24. Notreallythatfast says:

Luv it! And “The Record” is a true masterpiece!

25. Gideon Godless says:

Awesome! I am ashamed as a FEAR fan to say that I’ve never heard “Now Your Dead”. It’s fuckin’ killer! I love the simple chord progression, and of course Lee’s vocals are on point. Definitely one of the best voices in the genre. I love the first LP, but no one ever talks about the second, More Beer. Personally, I find that to be their pinnacle.