CDRs on eBay

I have no problem with sellers selling CDRs as long as they let the buyers know what they’re bidding on.

When sellers don’t it just pisses me off and god knows what they’re telling the buyers when they’ve received their CDRs and they get back with a complaint. I guess many of them are just old fuckers who’s not aware of the countless sites who offers the old stuff for free.

For example we have Joes posting of the brilliant Electrify Me by The Plugz that a seller named EFFIGY77 have been selling numerous CDR copies of. If you look at his feedback it looks swell. But as I said I could only guess what he’s telling those getting back to complain. One if his usual answers seems to be “this was never official released and is very rare”. I asked him about the Special Forces – World Domination that I posted here a long time ago and have been on sale on and off on eBay: I don’t want any problem so I’m taking it off. I’ve also asked about some other CDs if they’re CDRs and the answer I’ve gotten is: It’s a fan club release. Yeah right honey.

There are more CDR sellers on eBay. Let’s fill up the list in the comment section.

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.

54 Responses to CDRs on eBay

1. Andy Longhorn says:

thank you for writing this. here’s another fucker:
    circle-one. he makes printable cdrs to disguise his dirty business. most of his stuff is available through punktorrents.com.

one example is the Germs cd::

2. I’m glad you brought this up, for a couple of reasons.

I’ve never had the misfortune of getting a CD-R on eBay, or paying for one. I have done mix CD and tape cassette trading things over snail mail, but haven’t sold the damn things.

A similar phenomenon exists, however, among something else I also collect: DVDs and movies in general (almost as much if not moreso than punk records/CDs, actually). WATCH OUT FOR 3rd PART AMAZON SELLERS.

3rd part Amazon sellers can also sell CDrs as the real deal and more than that are prone to selling basically DVD-Rs of admittedly hard to find movies, but rather than saying it’s an unauthorized bootleg, they will claim they found the copy “at a garage sale” etc., and also they are selling the DVD “as is.”

What you get is a DVD of a movie that actually may be hard to find (like Pier Pasolini’s Salo: 120 Days of Sodom; or movies that should be on DVD but aren’t, like the horror cult classic Eye of the Devil w/ Sharon Tate as a Satanic Witch, made before her murders), with even a nice laser printer repro of a DVD jacket, but often it’s misrepresented by the seller. It’s a touch call because I want to see those movies, but when I bought “Salo” the description was weasel-worded, saying it was a Criterion release — and actually I got a bootleg copy of a Criterion version of the movie.

I’m sure the same thing can happen with CD-Rs.

3. Also, check this out, on eBay:

That CD sold for almost $60. Is it a legit release? I don’t know. It’d be so easy to do this since a lot of punk uses b&w art anyway.

4. MrMike says:

Oliver- You are dead on with DVDs. The outright blatant scumbaggery of eBay DVD-R & Amazon 3rd party sellers makes cd-r seem like a cute little game.
    It’s not & thankfully I have never been on the business end of a bootleg transaction that I was not aware of. Salo is infamous as are the “white ring” Criterions from the early days of DVD. Thankfully you can get a all-region DVD player and avoid a good chunk of the pirated/bootleg/DVD-R from the above sellers. As for the Tate film, I too have seen boots of that on eBAY & it would make a great candidate for DVD (Niven & Kerr !) but it’s part of that whole fucked up MGM-UA UK back catalog that WAS owned by Sony, but was sold off in some large chunk to Fox from what I recall. But that whole film has a whole insane back story (check out TCM’s website ). Hopefully, now that MGM/Fox has (somewhat)resurrected the “Midnite Movies” Line on DVD it might see a legit release.

what the fuck is a CD-R???? Is it a bootleg or something?

6. MrMike says:

And the upshot is that Criterion is re-issuing “Salo” in 2008 to damage a whole new generation.

7. Tom says:

Hehe. Nice subject here to talk about, for me at least. Maybe some folks would like to know a little perspective from the bootleggers standpoint to completely understand the concept of what is being brought to light here. I myself was a big eBay CD-R bootlegger until a few months ago. I used to sell all sorts of hard to find punk, hc, metal and make cool discography collections out of them with nice color covers and I even printed black thermal print text on the discs, so they kind of look like real cd’s and not cd-r’s from the face. I was really succesful at it and did it for about a year and a half. I started in late 2005. One person who inspired me was the guy who owns Society’s Outcast Distro now (http://www.societysoutcastsdistro.com/index.html). I think his handle was like dogsbody or something or other on eBay back then. He used to sell discography collections of mostly rare uk 80’s punk on tape for like 4 or 5 dollars, then he moved to CD-R a little later. I used to order from him and get just a plain cdr disc with a xeroxed cover (fit for a tape jacket) and the name with marker on the disc, and he indeed got good feedback on eBay. I thought to myself I could do the same as this guy but do way better by making pro color covers and actually printing on the disc. I stocked up on black silver discs, glossy stock paper, cd cases, a special cd printer, the works, all ready for my new business venture! I started with the rare Killed By Death comps that were never released on factory CD (Yes, there are a few still today only on vinyl, or for “free” download nowadays). Also some Bloodstains compilations. Then I put together alot actual band discography collections who’s music for the most part was long out of print and not easily available elsewhere. Each printed cover I actually designed myself the artwork in Photoshop, sometimes spending hours on end on one release’s layout of the front and back (traycard) design. All in all I think I made over a hundred different titles. Last year I did twice to three times as good sales wise. This year sales dropped tremendously. I assume the reason nowadays is that people, including myself, are finding all the hard to find stuff (even the most rarest of rare demo tapes) they have been looking for just on blogs such as these for free or moreso, blogs that simply have rapidshare or megaupload links to “go get it”. Btw, Japan stills buys american bootlegs out the butt however I don’t know how much longer this may last. I suppose they don’t have near as many mp3 blogs as us, or they haven’t discovered ones like this and many others in English because of the language barrier. Only time will tell. About DVD-R movies on ebay, I did it but I will tell you that ebay is very smart about finding out who’s selling movie bootlegs and shutting them down nowadays (myself included), way more so than CD-R for music. Also much more people are involved in making a movie than a band’s own musical output. Therefore it’s easier for you to get “reported” or told on for which is the basis for eBay even investigating a seller for possible suspension. I remember last year I created an account to sell rare horror movies on DVD-R. I had over fifty rare movie titles to offer (at unlimited amounts of course), all with my custom artwork I had created (or restored from the original boxart), the movies digitalized with movie trailers and menus, many of which I transfered from my own original VHS tapes. All great. But it was only about two weeks in and they just flat out took down all my items and suspended my account. That was last year. This year (and only a few months ago) I stopped selling CD-R boots on eBay for a variety of reasons but mainly so I can focus on my school & studies so I can get a “real” job (hehe). Another reason is because of declining sales and also a scam in which people had lately started buying from me and paying by Paypal for a shitload of discs, like 10 or 15 discs and then when they get them they report a chargeback request through Paypal, keep the discs and get all there money back. Well, sounds logical to most folks because after all they got CD-R bootlegs. Right, but I spent alot of time into making those, plus postage costs, supply costs, ebay costs, and tons of other things that tie into the process. It was not just simple burned discs my customers were getting, these were very professional bootlegs that almost resemble real factory pressed releases. So it was getting really irritating and becoming a pain instead of a pleasure. I mean isn’t it great to make money on something you enjoy, I loved (still do) rare killed by death punk, hardcore, etc and it felt great to create and provide these gems to people who can’t find it elsewhere and provide a quality product and in turn a buck or two. But I knew it would only be a temporary ordeal and time would cease my operation. Then after a few months after I stopped selling on eBay on my own terms they suspended all my accounts. So I have been banned for life from them, but at my standpoint now who cares because I’m threw anyway. They must have made alot of money from me and they obviously don’t appreciate the business from there typical “zero customer service” standpoint. eBay tends to think they are doing sellers a favor, not the other way around. But I digress. Years ago like 2001-2003 I think you could make an utter fortune on it but really nowadays it’s really hard to sell anything on CD-R because everyone DL’s the stuff for free. Even movies. I have downloaded way rare horror stuff from sites for free in DivX format that look great, try horrorflix.ws. Anyway, I think that bootleggers are a dying breed because of the way things have changed and how digital media is simply so easy to get nowadays with just a little bit of time and “googleing” on the search engines. But I will always remember, and my-ex wife will too, my bootlegging days and those long nights of burning, printing, cutting, packaging, the tired eyes the next day at work. But the money was indeed great I will have to admit. And I enjoyed it while it lasted.

8. Erich says:

@ Oliver: WINTER was originally a CD release, before Nuclear Bnlast pressed it onto vinyl. It looks like the one you linked is the original.

9. Somehow some douchebag must have got hold of my personal email from some of these fucking blogs (perhaps Peter is selling emails to the people who entered the competition? Emails may be the new CD-rs, there’s $100000 to make in this business you know) and, anyhow, this guy keeps sending me his distribution list. Funny thing is that it’s got this item:

– Anti-Cimex – Raw Live ’84~86 – CD – Hardcore Horror – ’05 – Peruvian import – New copy – $10

Bytheway, I bought a AMEBIX DVD-R from eBay as I hadn’t seen it anywhere on P2P, and it cost me £1.00 plus postage (and it had Varukers live from a Pub in circle 2001, utterly worthless quality and made me stop listen to Varukers forever, ha ha).

Bootleggers are killing BLOGGING! Ban the bootleggers!!! Ha ha ha, ok jag ska halal kaften nu…trevligt inslag forovrigt.

10. Oh sorry, if anyone wants to buy (smirk smirk*) the Peruvan Anticimex record here’s the guys contact: Jun / ebay ID kurwa123 / Overhead Distro / [email protected]

11. Kevin Coed says:

Funny you should mention Effigy77… I bid on, and won, an Authorities ‘Puppy Love’ cd off him a while back, for about $17. After a week or so I was browsing his other listings and kept noticing ‘appears to be a fan club issue’. Alarm bells went off and I sent him a message asking if by that he meant ‘CDR I’ve made myself’; he acknowledged it was and said it had already been posted but if I wasn’t happy I’d have my money back. I had my money back. Funny thing is – at the same time that auction was running, a legit copy of ‘Puppy Love’ reached a max bid of about $11 a couple of days later. Bollocks.

12. It’s easy for sellers to escape the issue of “I made this myself” by claiming things like “something I picked up at a garage sale,” or “found at a merch table at a show,” etc. All basically mean, ‘I found this, didn’t make it — just passin’ it along!”

Of course when they seem to have “found” like 20 copies of the same thing, that’s the red flag.

To MrMike above, I have a DVD bootleg of Eye of the Devil that I got from a pretty legit-looking website that has a shopping cart, sections divided by genre, etc. Vendio I think is one site like this; folks into Giallo or Euro-horror know of these sites pretty well. I honestly don’t know how they do it as openly as they do and run the operation. The DVD of “Eye of the Devil” I got was the movie as recorded off TV, probably onto VCR, from TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES (the TCM logo was in the lower right hand corner throughout the whole movie).

Like Mr. Mike said, it’s really weird that there is no DVD of this movie since it has Niven, Kerr, David Hemmings (Blow Up), a young Donald Pleasence (Halloween), and of course Sharon tate, as an occult witch (and who we all know Charlie Manson murdered), complete with Satanists in black robes roaming frosty black metal-looking forests. It *screams* MAKE THIS LEGALLY AVAILABLE. So some bootleggers provide a good service in making shit like this available.

But like the original post said – sellers should tell you THEY made it, that it is a CD-R or DVD-R as the case might be. Not that it “appears to be” this or that or that they “found it,” etc.

Also to MrMike above, I have a region free DVD player, thank non-God. And I’ve helped others make their DVD players region free with hacks found on the ‘net, heh. Region-free used to be the only way I could watch a lot of Euro horror stuff; becoming less a problem nowadays.

13. Jason says:

I had sold some items to effigy77 and had him accuse me of selling warped and scratched records. He sent several emails threatening me and he finally sent a complaint to paypal which I won. He then proceeded to tell me I need to watch my back. I replied to him that he knows my address, come to Cincinnati anytime he wants. He uses the fear of getting negative feedback as a way of getting refunds. He obviously is a liar and cheat selling CD-Rs even though it is against ebays terms of service.

You have an amazing site and thanks for taking the time to post all the great music.

Thanks for the kind words Jason.

Interesting stuff from Tom the former bootlegger. For some reason I sense that we shall “feel” for you cause of the time you spent on it which of course was your own decision.

15. Niels says:

I once sold a couple of CD-Rs on eBay of a tape comp I put out a hundred years ago (“Alle 55 Kort”). I did it at cost price, and as I’d put it out myself in the first place it wasn’t bootlegging. But that didn’t stop eBay from pulling the item, apparently because I mentioned they were CD-Rs! I solved this by using a different description, something like “limited edition CDs”. So, even sellers whose aim isn’t to rip you off have to avoid using the actual word “CD-R”.

Thanks Niels for another angle. I actually have a comp. tape lying around with sleeve and all that I intended to release but never did. Some pretty good bands on there with Canadas Guilt Parade being the crop of the cream. Maybe I shall do a limited run of it too.

I’ve seen numerous sellers who do CDRs that actually write “not an official release” which seems to work fine.

17. pirateluv says:

i know what you mean. i won a copy Killed by Death #77 thinking it was the legit item. well i don’t mind that its not the real deal but they should at least let me know. the music’s all that matters.

18. Niels says:

Yeah, put it out, Peter! I love Guilt Parade’s version of Heartbreak Hotel that’s on the “Progress?” comp EP (from about 1987?).

19. only in it for the music!!!!

20. Joe Stumble says:

wow…just looked at the ebay ad. this is depressing. It amazes me that there are people gullible enough to buy this Plugz CD-R. A little research on the web will tell you that it aint the real deal.

21. MrMike says:

Ollie- Yep, that DVD is a boot from TCM’s broadcast (if I’m not mistaken there was an entire day of the films of Kerr a few months ago). “Fan Copies” can be a hit or miss affair when it comes to DVDs from blatant rips of OOP titles (like Hellman’s “2 Lane Blacktop” that’s on the slate for a 4Q Criterion release anyways!)botched PAL to NTSC transfers (more lines than on a mirror @ Studio 54)or sloppy beta/vhs to DVD transfers. Sites like 5 Minutes to Live & EUROTRASH VIDEOS are rife with ’em & what’s funny/pathetic is that people on eBAY boot the boots! But, there is even a market for KBD style DVDs in the guise of the stuff put out by Onar films (those wild Turkish films of the 70’s & 80’s).

22. Os says:

This goes for Slobodan Burghersson:
    I think Jun Overhead Distro is a cool honest guy that let people know what isn’t an official release.
    And about your prejudice comment “PERUVIAN IMPORT??????????? WHAT THE FUCK? DO THEY LISTEN TO ‘CIMES IN PERU? IS THIS THE ULTRARARE CIMEX COMPLETE LIVE GIGS IN PERU IN 1984-1986? THAT SHIT MUST BE SUPERRARE NO?!!!! HA HA HA HA.”
    Well, you’d be happy to know that the official tribute to Anti Cimex (CD/LP) was released by a peruvian label, but I don’t know if the same guy released that “Hardcore Horror” which for sure wasn’t recorded in Peru, I don’t believe you have heard it anywhere, it’s just a missunderstanding. But be condensanding about Peruvian listen to Anti Cimex is bad, people everywhere in the world listen to Anti Cimex and Peruvian listen to many other bands too. By the way, let’s those comments do not change the subject of the forum.
    Stay well.

23. JG says:

Yup, those selling these kind of CD-R’s are bastards, outright bastards, that should be cussed and damned out of eBay.

I happened to unwillingly buy a CD-R (copy of an old Soft Machine CD release) some years back on eBay, quite high dollars to that. Not a word about CD-R in ad. (Forgot the blokes ID, might check up on it). I asked why he didn’t state anything in ad about CD-R and got some nonsense back as reply.

Selling CD-R might be justified in some rare cases, as when there is an extremely rare live boot or something similar. But it must be VERY CLEARLY STATED in ad that it is nuffin else than a freakin CD-R up for sale!!!

Cleanse eBay from all dirt!

24. Apologies to all Peruvians and Mr. Jun. But I persist: Peru does to me sound away far from Mariestad.

25. winston says:

i picked up a septic death double cd,months ago on ebay from belgum,a complete discog listed as professional covers ect i knew it was a boot and the music on it was awesome,the cover was shit photo copy,think i paid £12still no prob.but i,ve recently seen it again from the same seller and it was bid only this time and was on $56 i think. now thats taking the piss,so untill pisshead gets his arse in gear and does a proper release people will get skanked

26. the motherfucker says:

hello eveybody.
    here is the fucker from belgium who sell SEPTIC DEATH cdr.
    Yeah it’s me the devil bootlegger personnified.
    when you buy a septic death from me it is specified in the auction that it is not a factory pressed cd so when you buy it you know that what you are buying…
    Why i do that simply because i am really bored to see more & more expensive rare punk cd/lp on ebay.
    so i have burned this rare stuff to buy.
    not to become rich i don’t give a fuck about money.
    i don’t need money.
    all the benefit i do by selling the SEPTIC DEATH cd are donated to food organisations or animal defense fund.
    that what i call being a true punk
    hell hell hell
    sure if pushead read this he cuts off my balls and eat it……..

27. Erich says:

You’d better donate for me, kid.

28. winston says:

THATS COOL IF YOU DONATE THE CASH,I LOVE THE CD AND I KNEW IT WAS NOT A PROPER RELEASE THOU LIKE I SAID THE COVER WAS A BIT MISLEADING.DONT RECALL SEEING ANYTHING ABOUT THE MONEY MADE BEING DONATED THOU .BUT RESPECT IF THATS WOT YOU DO WITH IT.THATS COOL….

29. the motherfucker says:

HELLO HELLO.
    FROM BELGIUM.
    THANK FOR THE COMMENTS.
    YEAH BE SURE PERHAPS I AM A BOOTLEGGER BUT SURELY NOT A LIAR.
    ALL THE BENEFIT ARE DONATED TO DIFFERENT ORGANISATIONS. IT IS NOT A REALLY BIG AMOUNT OF MONEY BUT IT IS MY CONTRIBUTION TO HELP THESE FUCKING SOCIETY TO BE BETTER.
    SO I WANT MY BALLS CUT OFF BY PUSHEAD……

30. pdx_tim says:

In a drunken haze surfing ebay I bought an Effigy77 offering of the YDI place in the sun “cd,” advertised as a rare Dutch pressing he picked up in Amsterdam or some such b.s. I was quite surprised when I played it and there were skips and repeats recorded right from the sweet vinyl. He refunded my money, but claimed I was hearing shit. Right.

31. Alex says:

I bought stuff from the guy who wrote above about selling on Ebay as Tom, which is his real name. He also sold through a website that was shut down. Here is the truth about what he did. The CDR’s were very clearly advertised as CD’s on his auction listings. He sold them for $13 plus shipping, and many of the discs that he shipped were defective. He used poor quality discs and a bad burner. The graphics sucked. The sound levels were really quiet. His description above makes it sound like he was providing professional quality discs at a fair price, which he wasn’t. And he was god awful slow at getting things in the mail. It took him over a month to get my stuff in the mail. The discs usually had cracked cases because he couldn’t pack things correctly. I’m fine with people selling CDR’s, but they need to do it right.

There are a few people on Ebay who sell great punk CDR releases, and I have purchased multiple titles from them because these discs look like professional CDR releases, and they are clearly listed as “fan club releases”. Full color printing on the disc, insert, covers – even the bottom of the discs don’t look like CDR’s. It’s not that blue/green shade with the big plastic circle in the middle. And they don’t charge $13. FU, Tom. I got my money back. Haha!

32. Rob says:

Me dia blitz cdr?

33. Alex says:

That’s the one, Rob! Those CDR’s were so bad, he should have used the name Media Shitz. My favorite part was that the business cards said “Darby would have been proud!” Here’s a guy who wouldn’t even spend the time to make sure the discs worked properly, but he designed, ordered, and distributed a business card with every order. Was that to make sure no one came back? Talk about bringing bootlegs to a new low. Does anyone know which idiot was behind those Record Collectors are Pretentious Assholes compilations? I’d like to kick that guy square in the balls, too.

34. MOTHERFUCKER says:

SHIT SHIT FUCK EBAY FUCK AMERICA
    SOME FUCKING ASSHOLES AS REPORTED ME TO EBAY BEING SEELING ILLEGAL COPIES OF SEPTIC DEATH.
    THOSE FUCKERS FROM EBAY HAS SUSPENDED MY ACCOUNT
    PURE SHIT.
    I VOMIT ON THOSE PEOPLE WHO SELL SO EXPENSIVE PUNK STUFFS ON EBAY? ESPECIALLY SPETIC DEATH & PUSHEAD STUFFS. SHIT ON YOU.
    IF PUSHEAD WAS INTELLIGENT I WILL MAKE A RERELEASE OF SEPTIC DEATH DISCOGRAPHY.
    I SHIT ON EBAY AND I SHIT ON THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS WHO HAVE REPORTED ME
    IHOPE YOU WILL DIE IN A NUCLEAR WAR
    SO LONG…

35. Erich says:

“fuck america” – hahaha. what an idiot.

Hey Motherfucker…Pushead is dead, moron

what i should say, Motherfucker, is Pushead has been dead for years…to me…hahahaha

Fuck you , Motherfucker…is what I really meant to say.

39. TOMAS ROSSNER says:

Slobodan Burghersson OBVIOUSLY HAS SOMETHING AGAINST PERU. THIS SLOBODAN RACIST SON OF A BITCH STILL OWES ME 287 EURO FOR THE 12 LP’S I SENT TO HIM IN JANUARY 12TH 2007. BEFORE TALKING SHIT ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE, STOP RIPPING THEM OFF. MY FRIEND JEFF FROM AMERICA ALSO GOT RIPPED OFF BY THIS FUCKER. THIS SHADY MOTHERFUCKER REFUSES TO ANSWER MY E-MAILS. CONTAKT ME IF YOU GOT SOMETHING TO SAY YOU FUCKING RIP-OFF SWEDISH FUCK!
    TOMAS IS PISSED: [email protected]

Slobodan Burghersson says:

Ok. Tomas we got it. One more posting and I´ll ban you. Go to Slobos blog and complain in case you got a beef with him.

41. TOMAS ROSSNER says:

OK Sorry! I thought it is SLOBODAN’s blog!
    How can I contact him? Are you his friend?!
    Can you tell him, pleaze?!

Thanks much.

It’s not THAT hard to do a google search:
    Next time use google.

43. TOMAS ROSSNER says:

NO! I don’t want to use google because I am gay

44. dirk says:

ya man i buy alot of cdrs but i just want the music as long as the recordings are super rare and i cant get them i dont mind paying 20 bucks for it ,, you guys are a bit ridiculous trying to get people thrown off ebay for this ,, why dont you mind youre own business and let people buy what they want to hear ,, as long as the cdrs are well done who really gives a shit ,, i bought some from circle 1 and effigy1 and effigy77 they were all great rare cdrs and they only cost 12 bucks ,, you purists are way too rock n roll for me ,, wanna be punk site

45. You’re a funny guy – paying money for shit. Look around, you can download all the music you want in better than-cdr quality here and on other blogs. You’re probably one of them ripoffs yourself, right?

Dirk you’re not only funny you seem way stupid if you want to pay 20 bucks for something that has been downloaded from a blog burned onto a CDR and made a shitty cover for. That without you being told that’s the case from the seller.

I can only agree with Erich that you’re probably one of those crappy CDR sellers yourself.

47. dirk says:

no im not a seller im a buyer , i actually am amazed at the cool stuff you have on this site , i applaud an excellent job , and all you ask is for a donation very cool , what are the other sites if you dont mind , thanks , dirk

48. Yeah Peter, what are the other sites? You should put up links to other cool sites! I’m not a fighter, I’m a lover.

49. guesswork says:

you know it’s a funny thing we had been in the recording studio for 7 weeks our record company droped us and the cd was dead we had decided that after gigs we would anounce that our cdr would be availabe on ebay (this way we didn’t have to carry them around and we could prouduce only what was needed) well with in two days we had 15 orders some jerk complained that it was a cdr and the item was pulled. we didn’t say it was a cd we told the truth and they killed it! thats just wrong, cdr get a bad rap. not only that i have qulity cds from the beatles out takes and the recordings sessions that are rare and would love to share them (not compressed from mp3) but real full sample. and would love to burn and just be paid for my time (nothing eles) so every body could enjoy the full sound that we all can here. but we cant do that either. thats a shame

“paid for my time” and what´s the going rate for your time?