Gentlemen Of Horror – Sterling Death E.P. 7″

gentlemen_front.jpggentlemen_back.jpg

gentlemen_label_a.jpg gentlemen_label_b.jpg
gentlemen_flipside.jpggentlemen_newsletter.jpggentlemen_inside.jpg

Canadas Gentlemen Of Horror later became Dogs Of War who´s only appearance can be found on the Charred Remains compilation tape posted some time ago. Totally amateurish teen punk in the same vein as Australias Young Identities, USAs Vast Majority plus a thousands of other bands who may realized they wheren’t good enough for a release or didn’t had wealthy parents to back them up. Too bad cause as for me I can’t get enough of this sloppiness. It doesn’t always work but with the inspiration and how the times where back then it was many times enough to get that youthfull energy shining through the wax as is the case with GOH.  I googled a little bit and to my surprise I found that the GOH has a fresh website up so no need for me to ramble on. Great!

Country: Canada
Year: 1981
Label: GOH
Rich Kids.mp3
Overhead Projector.mp3
Rough Hike.mp3
God Knows You By Name.mp3
Bank.mp3

This entry was posted in 1981. Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Gentlemen Of Horror – Sterling Death E.P. 7″

1. dewey decimal says:

For me, it’s the singer’s style that makes this record a total classic. Thanks for posting. Also available on Smash the State Vol. 3, but you already knew that.

2. This has been on my want list forever and I haven’t heard it in ages. Now that thanks to Peter I can check it out again, it bores me to death. The singer is extremely weak and with zero charisma. I think I’ll have to cross this out of my want list. :-(

3. PS: The band website is a bit, hmmmm – let’s put it that way: The fact that maybe three or four or five dozen people worldwide push prices of certain records through the roof, does not make these bands popular or in demand. I guess the GOH let themselves be carried away by that a bit too much.

I’ve been wanting to hear this one for quite some time, and I have to say that it’s fantastic. Wonderful sloppiness!
    Still on my want list, and the singer is amazing Erich, and the production is way over the top. Thanks a lot for this one.

“The fact that maybe three or four or five dozen people worldwide push prices of certain records through the roof, does not make these bands popular or in demand.” enough in demand to see a reissue of it. So it seems like there´s more then a dozen of people who wants this. I agree that rarity and quality don´t always go hand in hand: NY Niggers, Critical Mass, Dot Vaeth, Injections and a couple of more are good examples to me. But of course it all boils down to taste in the end.

6. David says:

I was looking over the 2end fanzine from these guys website, and it talked about Kill Pigs. Said they were prot-punk, and were on a cassette Indecent Exposure

7. David says:

I was looking over the 2end fanzine from these guys website, and it talked about Kill Pigs. Said they were protopunk, and were on a cassette Best of Indecent Exposure Vol. 1. They just seemed to stick out, and I couldn’t find anything on them, do you have anything on them?

8. I will never understand why you don’t like NY Niggers, Peter :-)

9. Senap says:

“Totally amateurish teen punk”, yes, you are goddamn right about that Peter!
    “…it bores me to death. The singer is extremely weak and with zero charisma.” And you’re more than right there Erich!
    Dussinpunk!

10. vile76 says:

This band rules, I get some unreleased recordings by them which are very more hardcore and fast than this 7″…

Please, give me a link to my blog :

I’ll give a link to your great blog.

Also, check my site :

11. Paul says:

Hi!
    I found on your web many great singles, for e.g. from Sweden. Can anyone help me and put on rapidshare old Swedish punk/power pop? I’m looking: Boys, Ekovox, Diestinct, Protectors, Pinheads, Mansken, Nattkram, Noise, Push, Hog, Information, Pink Champagne.
    Thank you for your help.
    Best regards and…
    MERRY X-MAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR. I hope it’ll be better then 2008 :-)
    Take care
    Paul
    myszonjp(at)yahoo.co.jp (in title please write SWEDEN)

Hi Paul!
    Pinheads, Noise and Push has already been posted here. Just do a search.

13. Paul says:

Thanx, but I’m looking albums – singles I’ve got.

Okay…can we get on with the show now?? I have had about enough of these guys. :+)

15. Bryn says:

This record is not the best of Canadian punk but the record is of interest to a lot of Canadian collectors due to the age of the record and that later in the ’80s, the Hooper brothers from GOH went on to be in the Grapes of Wrath, a very popular and influental alt-rock band in Canada. I’m not sure how appealling this record would be to American or European collectors!

“This record is not the best of Canadian punk.” Hot Diggity! You can say that again.

17. “I’m not sure how appealling this record would be to American or European collectors!”

That’s about the dumbest thing I read in a while.

18. james says:

great stuff. sell me your copy now.

19. briand says:

Huh? No one is going to want this record (at the “punk collector” price) due to the Grapes Of Wrath connection.

20. Renik says:

I found a bootleg version of this record in Vancouver, B.C. a few years back with a completely different cover and title for about $4 Canadian. One may recognize the cover of this 7inch that was used for the cover of Killed By Death #10. I think this is a good 7inch.

21. Joshy A. says:

This band is great just because they’re from this buttfuck town called Kelowna in the BC interior about 4 hours away from Vancouver. Small town, ’82. We’re talkin’ SMALL town. The plain obscurity is fuckin’ crazy and that’s why it commands such a price. A punk band from some town that still doesn’t have over 100 000 people in Canada? Weird. I’m sure there were other punk bands in smaller towns but none that actually released records. Were they better than the Gents? I dunno. I’ve heard a ton that are alot worse.

22. marcos says:

hey thanks for this!!!! i alwais find here all a ned

23. Nathan G says:

I enjoyed this!

24. justin says:

Found this vid…I dig these guys, thanx for enlightening

25. punkrecords says:

ok , i understand, punk and hardcore are compleatly different tasts, as for punk there 7″ is just amazing, classic stuff buy 14 year old kids. if your into hardcore you wil proberly not like there 7″ due to being more slower like the later 70’s punk style. but this band in mid 1981-82 changed there style into a hardcore band, becoming very fast and aggressive, and is great hardcore punk. thay have 17 songs clocking in under 19 min. there songs have never been released, until a few months back. i first heard these unreleased songs from a friend of mine about 4 years back on a cassett, i was amazied on how brutal it was. anyway i had to take matters into my own hands and get this released. the band had some other fine recordings as well . and now you can own there compleat recording on vinyl and cd at a reasonable price ! anyway if you need to hear this you can buy it from the lable at : http://www.punkrecords.com , if your in canada you can order through the bands web page. the vinyl Lp has 31 songs. all songs recorded between 1980-1982 . with the exception of the 5 song 7″ all the other songs are hardcore ! i personaly cant see how anybody can’t like the overhead projector song. anyway i like hardcore and punk. and yes “rare and expensive dose not= good music”.
    save your self some $$ and but this LP it comes with 2 sided insert & a 2 sided poster, there are 300 on color was as well.