Best of 2008

I’ve seen many “best of 2008” lists on other blogs and as usually I don’t find anything I agree with. That has of course to do with that I’m a cranky bastard. So what new stuff did rock me in 2008? There’s one LP/CD that I’ve played over and over again: The Futureheads – This Is Not The World. I wish I did that album. Almost perfect from start to finish. Here’s just one example to show you the brilliance of this band. Rehearsal footage when they do Broke Up The Time:

2. Jay Reatard – Blood Visions LP/CD released in 2007 but reached me in 2008.
3. Career Suicide – Cherry Beach 7″
4. Brutal Knights – My Life, My Fault 7″
5. Adele – Chasing Pavements no other song have given me so many goose bumps in 2008.

The list ends here. Can’t think of anything else so now it’s up to you to bitch and moan about what I’ve missed.

This entry was posted in 2008, News, Teaching. Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Best of 2008

Lögnhalsmottagningen! That was one hell of an E.P. ;)

If I didn’t knew the singer was Swedens answer to Wattie that EP would’ve been on the list.

W(h)att(ie)?

4. I dig the label “Teaching”, haha.

What comes to mind as I type:

– Metallica- Death magnetic
    – Peter KBD
    – Amon Amarth- some new LP with silly lyrics
    – Oh fuck, I don’t know

Metallica??? Hahahahaha…didn’t they break up yet?? Hahahahahahahaha. Does anyone like No Bunny??? Great stuff.

6. ‘tallica, yes Jay, ‘tallica. ‘tallica!

7. Anonymous says:

Crime Desire’s S/T LP
    Masshysteri’s EP and LP
    blah blah blah

8. Laszlo says:

Kriegshög – hardcore hell 7″

9. Laszlo says:

Skitkids – Besöket Vid Krubban Lp is brilliant as well!

Sex Pistols-Never Mind the Bollocks!!! Hands down, the record of the year!!!

I´ve been listening to Pistols a lot this year. Still as great as ever. Not a single bad song on Never Mind…

Nitad: Ibland kan man inte hindra sig själv LP was pretty amazing.

13. Laszlo says:

Hey Martin, the Nitad new Lp and 7″ both are brilliant. Great band!

I had no swedish bands on my list which is a shame but then I realized that Henry Fiats Open Sore released a new LP. Put it on the list.

15. jonder says:

If you like the Futureheads, you would definitely enjoy the band Statues: http://www.bompstore.com/servlet/Detail?no=6901

16. phil says:

yes! henry fiats open sore is one in my list and another one is the hjertestop lp

Jonder, I took a listen to Statues at their myspace. While they like all the bands I do and they´re from Canada all the ingredients are there. But to me they sound a bit too unfocused and stuck in their influences and last but not the least I think they lack a really good singer. They guys looked cute though so thanks for the recommendation.

18. Senap says:

Four fux ache Peter! The Futureheads sounds like something I can dig pretty fuckin’ much. Always thought that they sounded like Portishead, typ, and I was very impad fucktiskt.
    My 2 faves from last year was 2 danish dynamites.
    D-A-D and Volbeat. But that’s not PK these days…
    And the three B’s; Briggs, Bronx and Boney M.

19. This is for you guys:

What a song! I remember skipping school only to go home to some lad who had a stereo and sitting in front of the speakers, playing this up and down.

“Playing it up and down”…????

21. Simon says:

The first Futureheads LP was one of my favourite new records in years– really played it half to death and saw them three times in a year. Best Kate Bush cover (!) ever. The second one just didn’t grab me, and I kind of forgot about them, but this Youtube video is fantastic and reminds me of how much I liked them, so I guess it’s time to search down the new LP too. Thanks!

22. Okay, okay – now I want to hear Futureheads too. LP download anybody?

No, Erich! Please…I don’t know how much more of this Oasis crap music I can take!!

Ha ha Oasis? And Germs sounds like Exploited to you?

First Futureheads is a total blast too. So hectic and quirky and yeah Simon the Hounds of Love cover is AMAZING!

I think the Futureheads are on a one way train to Oasisville!

27. And I’m still waiting for the last train to Clars ehm oasisville. Upload/download, fuckers?

28. Thomas says:

Just saw the Futureheads here in Germany a few months ago in a small venue, just 80 people showed up, but The Futureheads REALLY rocks the place to pieces. They played here in Germany a few times before, but I was not so interested in them in the past, until it makes ‘click in my ears’ with the new album.
    Excellent live band and the new album is her best out of 3 albums in my eyes.
    Excellent production, too, done by Youth (a.k.a. Martin Glover) from Killing Joke.

29. Jay says:

New records I listened to most in 2008:

LPs:
    Dean Dirg – Raus! LP (came out in Europe 2007 but released in USA 2008)
    The Powerchords – Think I’m Gonna…
    Wax Museums – s/t
    Gentleman Jesse – s/t
    Yum Yums – Whatever Rhymes With Baby
    The Manikins – Crocodiles

7″s
    Dean Dirg – What’s New? Nothing
    Marked Men – Fortune
    20/20 – Going Up With My Girl
    Perfect Fits – both singles
    Jay Reatard – Matador singles

Song of the year:
    Lover! – “Booger In My Asshole”

I think Jay is right! “Booger in my Asshole” is definitely the song of the year, hands down!

31. fil says:

adele??? what the fuck?? stage school bollocks like ami crackhouse/kate gash/shitty allen

Futureheads have really toned down from their jerkier stop start post punk earlier stuff..to the point of me not listening to them at all now.
    masshysteri lp was great but
    eddy current suppression ring “primary colours” perhaps the lp of the year.

32. CORPUS77 says:

Lögnhalsmottagningen! WHAT A BLOODY LONG NAME, GREAT 7″ (WHATS UP WITH WATTIE ?- ONE OF THE BEST FRONT MEN EVER)

LISTEN TO THE BURNT CROSS TWO 7″- BOTH RELEASED IN 2008- GREAT

CHEERS CORPUS 77

Adele kicks most of the punx in the butt.

Shit I took a listen to Eddy Current. That was truly awful!

Beyonce pumps my nads!!!

36. Amoebrian says:

Yes, Jay!

Yours (along with the main entry here) are the only ’08 lists I have agreed with. Not surprising though. Dean Dirg was one of the most exciting new bands I’ve heard. And “…Think I’m Gonna” gets my #1 spot. Couldn’t be happier to have the privilege to see/play with them! I think the Night Marchers full length was a close 2nd, if not a tie. Anyone else dig that as much as me?

37. Brian C. says:

That was okay until he started singing.