Destry Hampton And The Wolves From Hell – S/T E.P. 7″

Demented vocals fucking around with chainsaw guitars, you know you need it. Destry Hampton sounds even more demented then the singer of Mentally Ill, that should tell you something. Yet a band I know nothing about except that their one and only 7″ RULES and that they where from California. One person that you might recognize is the drummer Danny Mihm. Can anyone confirm it’s the same Danny of Flamin’ Groovies?

Year: 1978
Label: Z’Bop
Angel Of Madness.mp3
Razor King.mp3
Paradise.mp3
Mean Boys.mp3

This entry was posted in 1978. Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Destry Hampton And The Wolves From Hell – S/T E.P. 7″

1. Speed says:

They were from San Francisco according to Collectorscum.com, so there could be a Flamin’ Groovies connection.

2. mamamot says:

angel of madness vs. blitzkrieg bop.

This record is like a bad acid trip…I like it! Thanks

4. Pretty interesting! I think I will like this more and more with every “spin”. Hats off to Peter!

5. Chris Bowne says:

Holy moly, i’ve been waiting to hear the whole thing for years! Thank you!!!

6. Greg says:

This is great! Thanks for posting.

7. steve says:

yeah, they were from SF. the singer’s name was Gregory Burke and their record was on Moxie.

Their record was on Moxie? Which one?

9. ian says:

Great stuff – raw & snotty they way I like it…reminds me of a more hyped up Ebenezer & the bludgeons – which can only be a great thing

Yeah that’s what I wrote in my post too so I thought I missed something. Still don’t get the Moxie thing.

“That dame has got a lot of moxie”…

12. discoscheissser says:

i’m not sure why the confusion arises because as the label clearly states: “Manufactured by Moxie Records” with M1012-A 0r M1012-B written at mid-label on each side respectively .
    But in much larger silver letters at the top of the black label is Z”BOP , with the listing ZB_OO! written mid-label opposite the M1012-A/B mentioned before .
    The dead vinyl matrix confirms both M1012 and Z-BOP in very shaky hand etching !
    It also credits WESTREX 3-D SOUND ! – which is a credit for the Westrex 3 record cutting system used !!
    The production values on the 7″ is unique enough for a particular credit i suppose..but its odd to find it in the dead vinyl..

Moxie was what could be called “a large indie” in 78′ and was responsible for manufacture and distribution of smaller fledgling labels, but requiring their own specific label credits .
    Its not unusual that the two label credits sit side-by-side on the same release .
    To add further to the label credits is written Vision Ditch C+P 1978 – obviously the copyright and publishing control concern of Destry Hampton and the Wolves themselves .

The pressing quantity seems to be no more than 200 , with a promo green sleeve variant of the standard red of between 5-10 copies and this green sleeve is extremely hard to find.

But a killer record for sure with whacked out reverb-drenched production, and something you’d only find in 78′.
    Yes it seems to be the one and only Danny Mihm from the Flamin Groovies on drums .
    thanks again kbd ..

“To me this suggests the label is indeed called Z-BOP,and the record is just manufactured(and possibly distributed also)by Moxie Records .” That’s what I thought since Z-Bop is written all over with ZB-001 indicating catalog name. Anyway thanks for trying to clear this up discoscheissser.

And the Z’Bop address on the back of the sleeve too…

15. Mike Danger says:

This is my favorite band on here so far, Thanks for this one and hopefully I one day find it.

How much did it go for on ebay today??? Just curious…

17. Destry Hampton says:

The most accurate account of this record to date.
    Moxie only manufactured the record, never handled it.
    That was done by a handful of independent record stores.
    Destry.
    Gregory Burke.

18. Artifix Greg says:

I need one too Greg!

19. Would never have heard this, were it not for Pig Champion from Poison Idea. He loved this EP and played it on his short-lived radio show in the mid-eighties.
    His record collection was legendary and his show was amazing!

20. Nathan G says:

The very meaning of wildness!! This is a blast from the subconscious.

21. Destry Hampton/Gregory Burke says:

You know, I have been thinking about a second edition of the original 7″ record with the artwork intact. It has always pissed me off that certain people who never paid us for the record and just put it away, now sell a few off now and then for waay too much money.
    And there is the fact that I have another record in mind.
    All you clowns are agile thinkers. I’m in San Francisco and am looking to find a label to re-issue or since I made it with Moxie by hand…That process could be repeated, and/or an honest middle-unit would be agreeable.
    I’ve had 2 or 3 would-be labels track me down and offer those standard “contracts,” where we (Hamptons) get zero, and they get the masters. Clearly not going to work.
    Will be putting a few thoughts online in a blog form of those particular times which spawned this record and others… for us, in North Beach.
    Point: Anybody got any ideas for a label to re-stamp the “Wolves”record/ or to handle it if delivered to them?
    Certain kinds of songs emerge from the American under-thought at certain times, like evil bubbles and believe me, we are going into that slime again now, and it requires a response in kind.
    Destry Hampton
    [email protected]

22. Cunt says:

This sounds great even when I aint gettin’ high. PUNK ROCKS!

23. This EP was just reissued on Super Viaduct. I realize I’m jumping in a little late here, but yes, that is Danny Mihm of the Flamin’ Groovies playing drums. I also recently learned that the lead guitarist on this record, Bobby Kinney, once played in a version of the Hot Knives , a folk-rocking Groovies spin off featuring Mihm and Tim Lynch (also ex-Groovies) Kinney isn’t on any of the band’s released recordings.