Ebba Gron – Pro-Rock 7″

ebbagron_pro_frontebbagron_pro_back
ebbagron_pro_label_aebbagron_pro_label_b

For the Swedes visiting this blog this will be a big yawn. Everybody in Sweden knows Ebba Gron. They where and still is HUGE. Their importance on the swedish punk and rock scene can not be underestimated. Though spliting up and reforming as Imperiet in the early 80’s most people will hold their early career as their high light. At least I do. The purpose of this post is of course to get other then the Swedes to learn about Ebba Gron and their greatness. Unlike other bands that went mass popular I never grew tired of Ebba mainly cause they where true to their spirit and managed to write catchy as hell songs with superb lyrics.

Joamin Thastrom the singer is the obvious focal point but to me Fjodor(Bass) and Gurra(Drums) played and equal and just as important part of the band. This became very obvious if you’ve seen the great documentary “Ebba – The Movie”. Three strong characters. And I just loved the way they look as a kid. They where THE most important punk band in Sweden yet they looked like your average joe. That can be said about many of the early punk bands in Sweden unlike the poser scene that took place in the 80’s. Gurra the drummer was an obvious fave of mine cause he looked old and was starting to loose his hair though he must’ve been in his early 20’s. I don’t know what it was that made me favorise the oldies in bands. Like the bass player in Americas The Inbred for example. I just thought it was cool.

Much can be said about Ebba Gron and I don’t know where to start or where to end. They’re still just as great listening to after all these years and they’ve refuse to reform even though they’ve been offered millions. Joakim Thastrom the singer is still going strong and still sounds good to great on and off. Here’s Ebba’s second 7inch. A masterpiece that have stood the test of time.

Country: Sweden
Year: 1978
Label: Mistlur
Tyst for fan.mp3
Mona Tumbas Slim Club.mp3

This entry was posted in 1978. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Ebba Gron – Pro-Rock 7″

Oh yeah, by a fucking longshot, the B side is the better song!! So much energy and not too long, like the A side. Issa fukken graat recuurd ferrsuure! Fy fan va bra!

2. Self Medicated says:

If I spoke Swedish this record would be a lot cooler.

3. My fave Ebba Gron release! The production is phenomenal!! Great and totally necessary post, Peter.

4. rijkse says:

i like the A side better, but both are good songs.

Wow oh wow! Where did you find this one? Never heard of them before, but it sure sounds great! If I only understood what they sang. Can someone please translate the title to Mona Tumbas slim club?

• The Flakes // Drummer says:

Shop lifted in Angered before Peter Birro took a dump in the Centrum and they had to evacuate.

6. Robert says:

I’ll give it a try, the title.
    Mona Tumba was a woman married to a famous icehockey player called Sven Tumba. She started a diet club for people with weight problems.
    The song is about making profit from peoples insecurity.

But this was a long time ago, I guess dealing with overweight gone a long ride since then. It clearly states on the cover that the song is not about people suffering from overweight (surely another word in english?) by illness.

Yeah, like all Ebba Grön 7″ it’s impossible to decide which song is the best.
    I can’t in word describe how important Ebba was way back for me, growing up in the suburbs of Stockholm.
    And hearing them today is still nothing but great. Best band ever, from Sweden. (Even though 6 0 2 by KSMB is a hell of a song)

Tyst för fan = Shut the fuck up,
    by the way.

7. kkkkkk says:

joakim thåström is the shit

8. Keith says:

The best band ever, saved my life! Jag började lara mig Svenska så att jag kan förstår vad de säger. Jag älskar Imperiet också (och Strindbergs, Heartbreak och Attentat). If I had the English subtitles to Ebba The Movie I would be extremely happy. Until then I just watch it over and over, and slowly understand more each time….

It´s fun to read all your comments Keith :). Why did you start to learn swedish and do you have any connections to Sweden? Det går utmärkt att förstå det du skriver.

10. Keith says:

Jag började lära mig Svenksa i januari för att jag kunde förstå filmen Låt den rätte komma in utan undertexten. På samma gång jag hörde Heartbreak och Ebba Grön och jag ville förstå de också. Nu jag bara lyssna på svenskpunk och titta på svenskfilmer (sista nämnde och Tillsammans och Mitt liv som hund).

Jag har inga till Sverige. Mina morföräldrar kommer från Norge faktiskt, men den enda bra musiken jag vet från Norge är Turbonegro. Jag kommer till Stockholm i tre veckor på semester. Jag kan vänta inte.

I hope that all makes sense. Korrigerar mig om jar har fel.

11. Erich says:

Jag dig korrigerar: Speak english or die.

12. Johan says:

Keith, there are some cool stuff outta Norway here on this site. Try:

Other bands that put out some great stuff are Kjøtt, Front Page and Babijar. This is fav too:

13. Pingback: Ebba Gron – S/T 7″ « Killed By Death Records

14. Get your cheap ass copy of this one here; http://shop.ebay.com/javelinen/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562 You know you want to make me rich!