The Petticoats – S/T E.P. 7″

petticoats_frontpetticoats_back
petticoats_lyrics_1petticoats_lyrics_2
petticoats_label_apetticoats_label_b

From London came the queen of cool, miss Stef Petticoat, who released this magnificent jewel in 1980 before she moved to Berlin where she kept running the band for quite some time, and might still be doing it in one way or another today. Apart from this E.P. she appeared on several different compilations as well as other 7inches that are all well worth tracking down.

So much more can be said about The Petticoats, but as I’m running a bit late here I have to stop right now, but feel free to share your comments about this very inspirational lo-fi classic in the comment section.

Country: UK
Year: 1980
Label: Blah-Blah-Blah
Normal.mp3
Allergy.mp3
I’m free.mp3

This entry was posted in 1980. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to The Petticoats – S/T E.P. 7″

1. Mike Ether says:

Stef=wonderful identity…Another great one!!!
    thanks mate!

2. Levi Johnston says:

I want to be FREE on the dole too! Fuck work.

The first two songs grate on my old-man ears a bit, but I love the sentiment and enthusiasm of “I’m Free.”

3. Kount Jizznack says:

This is certainly familiar from the Killed By Death album with all of those classic British bands like Hornsey At War and London PX. It’s good to hear what more of their songs sound like. I like this one. I’ll have to grab myself a cider and listen to this one again.

Truly great record. Need to find myself a copy.

5. clayton s. says:

I think Stef is still sitting on copies of this. Contact her on myspace.

6. Hollyrock says:

There’s an article on Stef in the current issue of my zine (Mongrel Zine #5 + Vol. 2 CD Comp w/ the track “I Hate Being In Love” by her as Amy and the Angels). She’s into Gospel music now, performing as a member in the Berliner Soul Choir.

7. Marc says:

For you guys that need it all.. This one comes in a Blue/Black sleeve too.

8. ian says:

Love it! Messy, raw & amateurish – bedroom punk rock at its finest! This sits right beside the fantastic first single by The Raincoats. I need more!

9. Longy says:

Never heard this one before. Excellent stuff. Thanks for posting it.

10. Peter J says:

This just might be the greatest single ever to be released!

11. Andrew says:

Someone took a super 8 vid of Stef with Necessary Evil!!

Normal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol3ssJ5mK9s

12. Brian C. says:

There’s three more Petticoats tracks on a comp called “Scaling Triangles”. They’re a (little) more pro sounding. She also did that Johnny Moped “Darling Let’s Have Another Baby”; I guess that’s how she thought she’d become “Normal”. Guess it didn’t take.

13. Os. says:

Know her personally, lovely lady!
    ps. also folded the sleeve and stamped the label at her place in London atthetime lol)

14. Shelley says:

Hey, I ordered a bunch of copies from Stef and I’m distributing them in the US if anyone wants a copy. Email me at [email protected] or go here: http://ginkgorecords.blogspot.com/2011/03/now-distributing-petticoats-45.html

15. Justin says:

I just got a copy of this at record store in Portland. Love it!

16. Shelley says:

Yeah I just stocked a few at Jackpot & Exiled!

17. dg says:

i ordered this 7 inch from shelley almost 4 months ago and still have not received it, so buyer beware i guess.

18. Nathan.G says:

My copies came direct from the artist. I thought in my mind that is the optimum method to access the heavenly tunes featured on the disc. Stef is a beautiful human being and if only there were more like her here on earth.