The Dickies – Nights In White Satin 7″

dickies_satin_frontdickies_satin_back
dickies_satin_label_adickies_satin_label_b

The Dickies has been one of my favorite bands since day one. Their debut The Incredible Shrinking Dickies and the even better Dawn of the Dickies is two master pieces that deserves an eternal place in the history of rock n roll. Up till 1979 they didn´t made a single bad song. They where fun and goofy without being “dumb fun” if you know what I mean. I could go on and on of how much I´ve loved ém and how sad it is to see the present Dickies touring to be able to get some money for Leonards smack. Stan Lee used to be Iggy Pops drug dealer and I wonder if he´s still got Iggys jacket, that can be seen on the back of Raw Power, that Iggy gave to him in exchange for some heroin? Here´s a rare Portuguese sleeve version of Nights in white Satin. Enjoy and praise it.

Year: 1979
Label: A&M
Nights In White Satin.mp3
Infidel Zombie.mp3

This entry was posted in 1979. Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to The Dickies – Nights In White Satin 7″

Great of course, and almost as great as this amazing video clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hG6eUD8Jmg

• Tom says:

I used to watch CPO Sharkey, the Don Rickles sitcom. I don’t remember this episode. As a Youtube comment noted, I see Alice Bag, Terry Graham, Trudie Arguelles, and Spazz Attack dancing.

The tall blond guy at the beginning is Peter Isacksen, who I thought was a regular but IMDB says appeared only on a handful of episode. When they first built homes, about 1977-79, behind where I grew up, he bought one and lived there for a year or so. I never saw him, but someone we knew who lived down from him did and said he was a nice guy.

2. Erich says:

A great band, but maybe just a bit too good to be Punk. To me, bands like this always seemed like dressed up pro-musicians. That doesn’t make their music the slightest bit worse than it is, just wanted to say. :-)

The original drummer died last month, as it appears.

3. Roberto says:

I’m a drummer too and Karlos Kaballero was with Rat Scabies one of my heroes and a great inspiration…RIP

Oh fuck totally missed that Karlos died :(. How sad. How many great inspirations have died this year? Brendan Mullen a month ago or so.

Erich, wasn´t too many bands to mention in the early days of punk just too good to be punk :)? I mean Damned, Stranglers, Devo etc etc at least if we´re talking about the big known bands.

• Erich says:

Exactly, that’s what I thought too after I sent the comment. Always the same story: The canon is made up afterwards. So many great, original, innovative bands were there in the 1st and 2nd generation of Punk (I mean, the first WIRE LP is still a literal shock to me – where the fuck came this from, I keep asking myself when putting it up). It took me some time to realize and appreciate this fully. When I first heard the Dickies for example, it was their take on “Paranoid” and I just thought “how shitty is that?!”, haha.

5. Chris g says:

hey peter! could you add my blog to your site’s blogroll?
    ALITTLENECROPHILIA.WORDPRESS.COM

6. Peter J says:

In my opinion The Dickies was actually better later on. Best track ís “Roadkill” originally released as a flexi without cover but also found in pretty funny color sleave. Check it out – its a blast!

7. Simmo says:

Sad to hear Karlos Kabellero died.They were a great band. – Seen them many times.

8. b e h j a n says:

One of he guitarist of HardCore band KORO (Dave T.) plays (or played)
    with the DICKIES.

Peter J, I think Dickies made a dozen of great songs even after 77-79, like Rosemary, Roadkill and more but 77-79 they didn’t make ONE single bad song.

10. marcel says:

I so heart The Dickies!!! I remember back in ’85 when MTV still played videos and was desperate for anything to put on air, they showed “Punks and Poseurs,” which was basically live video of the GBH/Dickies show at the Olympic in LA. Dickies were so punk!!!

Saw them about 5 or 6 years ago at a dive bar in Alameda, CA (look it up) called the Rooster Roadhouse, they were pretty sloppy but still fun!

11. JohanMalm says:

I thought it was just me who loved the dickies. Looks like I was wrong. :)

12. Dacoit Dan says:

i love the dickies. i’ll have to admit tho, i got a big stiffie thinking they would be singing the song in Portuguese!

• Stuart Talk says:

Aaaah, the Dickies… I got EVERY SINGLE record they EVER put out, including the banned KKK “nights in white satin” single.
      They were amazing. Never took themselves seriously. Saw them in 1983 at the LA santa monica civic, supporting the appalling Cockney Rejects in their heavy metal phase. First band on the bill was the Circle Jerks (not as good as Leonard’s crew). Me and my friends got beaten up later on in the night by a bunch of fascist surfers in Ventura. Got a few stitches on my forehead. The scar will always reminds me of the mighty Dickies’ version of Eve of Destruction…

13. Branden says:

I thought Leonard was off smack…the Iggy Pop jacket is now in the hands of a private collector.

14. One of the best bands ever.

15. is caballero says:

Thanks all for the kind words about
    Carlos Caballero
    My younger brother

16. Mad Dog says:

Does anyone know the value of the original American picture sleeve for Knights in White Satin? You know, the one where they are dressed as Knights in White Satin.