TPI(T.P.I.) – S/T 7″

tpi_label_atpi_label_b

You’re too clever for me. What a freaking fantastic pop punk song it is. Has been on repeat since 30 minutes ago. 45 Revolutions teach me that it was produced by Nobby Clark from Bay City Roller which somewhat explains why it’s THAT great. You Rool Me is almost, just almost, too wimpy for me so you real punkers beware!

Country: Scotland
Year: 1979
Label: Clever
She’s Too Clever For Me.mp3
You Rool Me.mp3

This entry was posted in 1979. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to TPI(T.P.I.) – S/T 7″

1. Erich says:

Wait …. you said ….. produced? This sounds like it has no production at all. I mean, sure – I’m a sucker for pop, but this is going too far, haha

2. Jun says:

You rool me sounds like Nick Lowe. Its not bad, I think I like it better than shes too clever for me. Not great, not terrible just ok.

3. Ian says:

“YOU’RE Too Clever for Me,” according to the label, is called “SHE’S Too Clever for Me.”

4. Laszlo says:

It’s not just OK…It’s sooooo AMAZING! Thanks Peter!

5. Dirk says:

What does T.P.I. stand for?

6. dukowski says:

TPI stands for Thick Pink Ink. They were from Edinburgh and one member went on to be in a NWOBHM band from Broxburn just outside Edinburgh called Snakebite who released a 7″ in 1983 (called ‘Blow You Away’). They played around Edinburgh quite a bit but didn’t release anything else. TPI have a page on Bored Teenagers with some flyers and pics of merchandise.

• Steven Cockburn says:

Hi dukowski,

Do you know which band member it was who left for the Broxburn Band? Im particularly interested in the work of the guitarist/vocalist Billy Barker. Any information would be a great help or even if you could point me in the right direction where I could maybe find more info. on him.
      Thanks.

• killbillaxl8r says:

Billy did exist for a short time in this band and went on to write and record with other bands with differing musical outlooks, he’s still out there if you look hard enough

7. stef says:

Thanks! Great! Didn’t know this Band before. It reminds me on Protex from Ireland.

8. elliott says:

yes this sounds like it has no production but i still love it! first song is better but the second song is good too. haha she’s too clever for me is a great title. thanks.

9. It's Shite Being Scottish says:

More Scottish stuff please! Cheers and Slainte!

10. Steven Cockburn says:

Hi

Was there a Billy Barker in this group?

Would love to know what happened to this talented man

11. gruff says:

The A-side is a true gem.

12. Curtis says:

Hi I was the original singer with TPI
    It stands for Thick Pink Ink
    Billy Barker was the guitarist singer and writer of the single
    Barry is now living in France riding dragons, I shit you not, Gordon and Willie are still in Edinburgh. I have sadly lost touch with Billy but suffice to say he is a great guitarist and singer and one day I hope we will all meet up again.
    I am still making music and I can be found via Facebook as Curtis E Johnson
    I am glad that TPI are still being listened too and discussed.
    Keep the faith.
    Best Curtis

13. John Doe says:

I remember seeing TPI at an open air gig at Dingleton Mental Hospital (I kid you not) in Melrose. Year would possibly be 1980? Must have been good cos I remember precious little from that time of my life but I remember them!

14. Curtis you old bugger, how the hell are you. Must admit I never thought I would see that name again. Hope you’re well and living the dream.

SD I still remember the Melrose gig and a fine day it was too, unusual for outdoor Scotland.

Great memories but it just proves that all good things must come to an end.

BB