Bohemia – S/T E.P. 7″

bohemia_label_abohemia_label_b

Christmas is over. Thank you Satan. So time for a new post at last. And this time it´s not a cry baby post about a shitty band sending their useless stuff to the kbd blog. Now it´s time for Chicagos(Hi Tony/Punk Business Manager) Bohemia. From what I understand they didn´t get much respect from their contemporary peers. They´re not in the phenomenal documentary “You weren´t there – A history of Chicago Punk 1977-1984“. Bohemia is mentioned by someone as a “sissy new wave band”. But let me tell you that this isn´t sissy new wave. It´s fantastic melodic punk rock. Especially Unconventional Boy. While Automatic Mind is a bit slow and is kind of weak American Life, with it´s Batman theme liked song structure, clocks in as second best.

I think this is their debut and the 7″ posted here is a promo that later got released officially as a 10″ with a proper sleeve.

Year: 1980
Label: VU
Automatic Mind.mp3
Unconventional Boy.mp3
American Life.mp3

This entry was posted in 1980. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Bohemia – S/T E.P. 7″

1. RR says:

I really recommend the “You weren´t there…” dvd+lp. Great stuff!!!

Yepp got it a month ago. Great indeed.

• Jay Thurston says:

Yepp got it a month and one day ago. Great indeed. “Unconventional Boy” is a great song…the others need to be Wussy Viper songs…

3. Erich says:

Hmm, I dunno. It’s a bit too sweet, too shallow, and then again not sweet & shallow enough. Typical u.s. equivalent to the british pub punk bands, I think.

4. Senap says:

The A-side was quite bad but the the the songs on the B-side were fantastic! “Unconventional Boy” is a truly amazing little song.

Unconvintional Boy is great! So thin production!

6. sir hake says:

great single totally unknown cool punky thanx kbd sir hake

7. dewey decimal says:

A little ripoff of “Ring of Fire” there in “Unconventional Boy”? Fun and catchy sissy wave punk.

8. Johan says:

So great! Unconventional Boy is on one of the Teen Line volumes. A little more info can be found there:

9. Thanks for posting this one, I’ve never heard it before! But after all these years in Chicago I’ve probably seen it in a used record store bin at some point and unknowingly passed it over (but not again). This is a happy record, and pretty good- “Unconventional Boy” is also my favorite song on it and then “American Life”. The first track is kind of a dud but isn’t that was makes record collecting a good time? You find some sleeveless disc with 3 songs on it and then find the nuggets on the B-side. I can totally see Bohemia getting called sissies by the tough guys in the early 80’s Chicago scene. The ironic thing is that one of the breeding grounds for those tough bands, the club Oz (see the great “Busted At Oz” comp), was a gay bar- LOL! Can’t get much more sissified than that!

10. Dirk says:

THANX, I’ve been wanting to hear more of Bohemia after the great track they had on the GTA compilation release High Road to Obscurity
    Thanks again, now I want to hear more of these Bohemians!

11. Andre says:

Anyone know where to find Bohemia’s song “312” ? ? ? Or any other of their songs, for that matter ? ? ? I want more.

12. Dirk says:

and is their LP any good (deviations)? has that been re-released?

13. Norton says:

I recently moved to Chicago.

Anyone have any knowledge on the music scene here?

As far as good places to go, venues, bars, etc?

14. elliott says:

wow. after seeing the you weren’t there movie i didn’t want to get this. not bad. thanks.

15. DDC says:

Well, just found some stuff from them on you tube

2 things
    -I like it!
    -I couldn’t tell from the record it was a female singer, sorry Carla Evonne, and shame on me!

• Væringjar Eggeling says:

As I am as strict as a Catholic about punk rock and gender, I contest that Carla is a woman and will insist that this is indeed sissified new wave. At the same time, I confess (in a St. Augustinian way) that I would find “Unconventional Boy” quite exciting if left alone with him late at night in a confessional.

16. Thank you for giving Bohemia their due. It is unfortunate that they were dismissed by some as a “Sissy New Wave Band” but as someone who saw them alot in their hey day, they were anything BUT! Yes, they did have cheesy keyboards, and they did come across as new wavy in some of their songs, but the MP3s posted here prove that these people could hold their own with the best of the bands at the time. Unconventional Boy, American Life, and Hydrogenic were as punk as it got for Chicago in 1980/81. The problem, I think was when these records were released, the whole “Hardcore” sound of fast, loud, and thrashy was coming into vogue in the punk scene. Bands like Black Flag, and The Dead Kennedys made Bohemia sound a little dated and behind the times, not to mention the records really didn’t do their music justice. This was a band one had to see live to truly appreciate them! Discography includes, if my memory serves correctly, “Automatic Mind” ten inch, w/the three MP3s included in this blog, the album “Deviations”, the 12 inch E.P. “No Ordinary Moon” and a posthumous 7 inch release, “I wanna Cigarette B/W Empty Rooms”

17. Mike Cahill says:

The last song on the “Deviations” LP, “Advertise,” is really great. Anyone ever hear it?