A.D.’s – Living Downtown 7″

ads_frontads_backads_insert
ads_label_aads_label_b

It’s that time again. Time again to post a killer punk record from the States. An overlooked record it seems. A.D.’s crank out two insanely great tracks. Living Downtown gives those who’s longing for a hit their fare share. In there is a guitar solo that works! Fits the song just perfect for once(unlike most guitar wanking solos in Metal. Hi Erich!). For those who’s feeling a bit tuff you can skip to Testing which is a bit faster and simpler nonetheless very great. And hold and behold here’s another guitar solo which is a bit too wanky for me. But even so they let it blend in quiet nicely with the whole arrangement of the song. Fuck I start to sound like a reviewer or like someone who actually knows music. Time to stop.

Year: 1980
Label: Blue Lunch
Living Downtown.mp3
Testing.mp3

This entry was posted in 1980. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to A.D.’s – Living Downtown 7″

Really great record!! Thanks!!

2. Pingback: Good bad Music for bad, bad Times! / MERCYFUL FATE- s/t 12″EP (Rave-On Records, Holland, 1982)

3. Erich says:

killer record. it’s just the solo thing I will never ever understand. I don’t believe your so narrow minded, peter, you’re only winding me up.

I´m dead serious when it comes to the solos. Narrow minded or not even you can´t be that close minded to see that it´s about taste, right? One of my friends at work loves metal to death. It´s metal day in day out BUT you know what? He HATES guitar solos ha ha. He likes it hard and fast so I´ve tried to turn him onto Hardcore since there´s less solo wanking in there, but he thinks it´s too sloppy, raw and garagy.

• Erich says:

There is no such thing as “metal solo”. Just like in Punk and HC; there are different types of solos, Peter. C’mon.

• The Flakes // Drummer says:

With your conclusion there´s no such thing as a punk sound or metal sound just different types of sounds.

In my world guitar solos in metal in general tend to be on the wanky side due to the guitarist ability to play and that it´s more a part of the genre as a whole. This lead me to say and call those wankily dankily guitar solos in metal for “metal solos”. In punk there´s guitar solos but since punks tend to be on the lazy and less talented side the guitar solos becomes less wanky and therefore less annoying.

• Erich says:

Wanking is never annoying, Peter.
          Indeed, I find the concept of THE “Punk sound” or THE “Metal sound” ludicrous. After all, that’s what I’m trying to bring across on my blog since a couple years now :-D

• The Flakes // Drummer says:

Wanking as in wanking is not annoying. But please don’t wank with your guitars.

I know you do but I disagree. But that’s cause in my world punk and metal was two totally different entities. To me it was when the metal heads discovered that Hardcore was cool they decided to join. And of course it all started to sound like shit. Then there’s the NWOBHM and sure they took stuff from the gay movement as studs and leather too just as punk. While punk was middle class and art school metal was blue collar/working class. Which means it should’ve been something for me. But AC/DC and Kiss was never as interesting as punk was. Metal I associated with the kids that bullied me at school and wanted to be tuff but just came out silly. They where into metal and hated punk. I hated them.

5. gorehound says:

I wish this band had more music like this single.And I have friends in albany where this band is from.I know most of these guys from years ago.My friend Kim works for Last Vestige Records owned by one of the AD’s.

6. Clinton Chapman says:

Hi Gorehound. I agree, I wish the A.D.’s had more music like the testing/living downtown 7″s. I purchased the other 7″s in hope of something equally amazing but was so so disappointed. You should have your friend Kim quiz the Last Vestige Records boss about demo’s, rehearsal, unreleased sessions from this era.
    Killer post Peter-thanks. This is still a relatively under appreciated 7″. I love killer records that are cheap.

7. b e h j a n says:

“Living Down Town” was comped on one of the German “BREAK THE RULES” comp.LP´s quite rightly.The 2nd side is faster.Kind of record that could appeal to (KBD) PuNk-freaks as much as to the HardCore style a la 1982.The 1987 Lp “Knowing Hard Feelings” musta be good,too-as I was told.
    Singer Bob F.´s record-shop “Last Vestige” made me lucky at the end of the 90s when I got the original TRAGICS (aka the Albany “Misfits”) 7″e.p.
    (cover+disc original without stickers,in great condition) for 30 USD ppd.
    Wonder why the A.D.´s haven´t made a retrospective LP/CD so far…

• gorehound says:

I also remember the tragics and have hung out with some or all of them back in the day.
      i had a lot of friends in Albany at one time and used to go out there a lot for partying.

8. martyn Earplug says:

“Singer Bob F.´s record-shop “Last Vestige”

the singer is Jim. He’s the one that owns last Vestige.

9. Chris says:

this is a GREAT single. there are no other recordings like this one

little known fact more then half of the covers of the pressing were thrown out. finding a copy with a real(pro printed glue pocket) cover is not easy

I have a few unplayed stock copies with original inserts but photocopy covers
    $30 PPD in the US. $35 ROW if anyone is interested
    [email protected]

10. Ben T says:

So So good, I can’t get enough. Super tough! thanks for sharing!

11. Urrke T says:

“Living Down Town” is a GREAT song!!!

12. Nick Alexander says:

I heard this track on the Skateboard Dvd by Creature “Hesh Law”. Great soundtrack for skating pools! Thanks for posting. I am glad I found this page! Here is the video if anyone is interested. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kpYrVWZoX24

13. Nick Alexander says:

Thank you so much for the song! First heard this on the Skateboard video by Creature “Hesh Law”. Great song for skating pools.