The Presence – Meeting The Demands Of Society Is No Excuse E.P. 7″

presence_frontpresence_back
presence_label_apresence_label_b

Oh Canadu. Joining Minutemen(USA) and Seems Twice(Australia) The Presence blows off some arty punk steam in the same vein. A couple of fillers but enough great tracks to make it worth a post. I wish I knew something about these comrades but as google gives me near to nothing I place my hope in you the readers/downloaders. Packed in a nice envelope sleeve(just as another Canadian band The Braineaters posted awhile ago) but is hellish to store.

Country: Canada
Year: 1981
Label: Self Released
Concrete/Metal.mp3
Struck By A Disquieting Muse.mp3
Disease.mp3
Seduced By The System.mp3
Getting Twisted.mp3

This entry was posted in 1981. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to The Presence – Meeting The Demands Of Society Is No Excuse E.P. 7″

1. Erich says:

A novelty to me, but what a great one!

2. Steve says:

Well I like the Minutemen (saw them play in Houston in ’84) and like the Seems Twice single as well so I’m looking forward to hearing this one! Thanks for posting! As for the odd size sleeve you might consider building a shed for storage :).

Seems like this post was a real winner ha ha.

4. Erich says:

Always the same: People comment on what they know and not what they don’t. I hate them.

• The Flakes // Drummer says:

Yeah I find it very strange. I personally would rather comment on something I haven’t heard and that I like of course.

• Martin says:

Ppl just want to hear old crap so that they can say that they hated it back in the days, and they still do!

• Laszlo says:

Peter, please let me know your shipping address. I would like to send you some obscure Hungarian demo from the 80’s. I’m so curious about your opinion. Thanks dude!

• The Flakes // Drummer says:

Opsy! Sorry Laszlo I know you’ve been trying to do that before :). Contact me via: info at kbdrecords dot com

5. Dewey Decimal says:

Cool post, mostly for its obscurity (at least totally unknown to me), but Concrete/Metal and Disease are pretty cool tracks. Why did I find myself craving a listen to Q: Are We Not Men, A: We Are Devo? while listening to track 2? I have no idea.

6. Steve says:

I meant no disrespect Flakes Drummer! I was only pulling your leg about the shed. I was serious about the Minutemen and the Seems Twice which I did download and listen to. I like it. I will do the same with the Presence. I have dial-up and have it in my download manager. And I also appreciate the Red Cross 12″ and your whole site in general. :)

7. Mat DaFuc says:

found one of the members, Rob. i guess he moved to calgary in 74 and stayed there till 86 and he says two of the members, brad and grant are still there. Rob is actually from the UK!

i guess they’re another EP too!

“The Presence single ‘Blown Away’ is a better listen, recorded a year after the EP and after the band had spent a lot of time on the road.” -Rob

seems like right the cool guy. i’ll ask him if he wants to leave a comment.

i guess this is what he’s doing nowadays musically! :)

8. jeffen says:

Those words were spray-painted on a wall behind Winnipeg’s dingy punk dive (Wellington’s) back in the eighties. I’m guessing the band did the work themselves.

9. Tim says:

OH BLOODY HELL – this is excellent. Like the Minutemen, yeah .. maybe — seems twice? seems not to me. Sounds a bit like MOTOR BOYS MOTOR from the same time period.

10. LHOOQtius says:

Concrete/Metal is worth the “price” of admission. That’s a great track. The rest of it is pretty good, too, but I’ll listen to Concrete/Metal over and over.

11. zach says:

“getting twisted” is such a jammer! thanks man!

12. Tony says:

Fun to see this out there now. I have a copy stashed in a dark subterranean room somewhere, where, alas, so much wonderful vinyl lives these days.

I get a kick out of the 7′ by 12′ or so “envelope” the disc came in. There must be some funny story behind it. They must have gotten a deal on envelopes, or had a picture they couldn’t reduce, or some oddball thing. (Quirky old days–I’m reminded of an album by Hamilton-area Chris Houston, who wrote the classic “Surfin’ on Heroin” song for the Forgotten Rebels–his 12-inch came in plastic with a cover of. . .astro-turf. . .he must have gotten a deal on a truckload no-one wanted anymore. Fave Chris song of mine was “The NRA, KKK, and the American Way.”) I was actually just a bit too _young_ to see the Presence, but they were in there amongst the first punk bands in Calgary, like the Hot Nasties or, I think, less well known, the Cutz and a few others.

Grant Sim, who maybe played guitar, definitely stuck around as a bit of a scenester. I think he had a radio show on the univ. radio station, CJSW, for a long time. And he also, IIRC, worked at a guitar shop called Mountain Music on 14th Ave. SW for a long time. It’s not there anymore. I’d see Grant around a bit, but I only talked to him briefly in the guitar store.

The song that draws me back to this EP is “Seduced by the System.” It is extremely of its moment for Calgary, AB, ca. 1980, but it’s also a bit timeless for Anywhere, today. The song refers to the urban sprawl and endless construction of the oil-boomtown Calgary was then. Calgary has always been boom/bust, and it’s been boom for quite a few years now–same deal–endless construction of condos (sometimes all night with with lights) and suburbs. Calgary only has about 1.1 to 1.2 million people, but its geographical footprint is bigger than Tokyo’s. It could take you almost a couple hours just to drive across the city, sometimes.

I love the line that goes “drive up to the ski slopes, play some hand…ball.” World class/World Cup ski slopes are an hour from Calgary and a playground for the nouveau riche. Anyone remember handball? It was, briefly, sort of a big deal with insta-executives, before squash took over (anyone remember squash), for that matter?

Hearing the song now for the first time in a number of years, I hear the definite influences of the new-wave that punk had been transitioning into then. And the song is a kind of moral-proleptic/canary-in-the-coalmine, because Calgary had a massive bust shortly after as oil prices skydived. People unable to unload mansions for half the price they bought them for, the ubiquitous downtown construction cranes vanishing daily, people driving cars with bumperstickers that said: “Please God let there be another oil boom. . .I promise not to piss it all away this time,” etc.

Just goes to show, from Woody Guthrie to Lou Reed to name your singer/artist of now–it’s always the punks and outsiders that see through the world and see clearly what it really is and have a sense of perspective and don’t get so caught up in themselves that they lose a sense of the world around them.

T.

13. Tony says:

Also, sorry for the long post/s, but that title, “Meeting the Demands of Society Is No Excuse” is just one bitchin,’ bitchin’ ironic title that has not so many equals I can think of.
    T.