The Electric Vomit – 1979 Montreal Punk E.P. 7″

“We used to smash discarded TV sets filled with rotting rubbish onstage…We turned a mannequin we found in the garbage into our mascot and rigged some tubing so it could puke pea-soup.” punk was way more exciting before hardcore and boyscout tuff guy core came along. While reading their short bio and looking at the back of the sleeve you’ll also learn that Carlos Soria, later of The Nils, was in the band too. A quality mark since Nils later put out one of the best Canadin 12″ EPs ever. This record is just too fucking good. Excellent tin can drums, heavy shitty guitar sound and sneering vocals. I had no expectations when Michel, who released this in 2007, told me he’ll send me a free record along with my main stuff. Electric Vomit from Canada? Bad name, great music. Buy it!

Garbage Bag Records at MySpace, be sure to listen to the Electric Vomit interview there.

Country: Canada
Year: 1979/2007
Label: Garbage Bag
No End.mp3
Treasure Hunt.mp3
Boredom Abolishing.mp3

This entry was posted in 1979, 2007. Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to The Electric Vomit – 1979 Montreal Punk E.P. 7″

1. Dewey Decimal says:

Pretty cool to listen to once, but it would be very annoying second time through.

2. tim says:

Captures the spirit – but looking at the photos of the 4 dudes on the back & the overtly theatrical punk name, and stage antics, ,,, and Canadian? I do wonder whether it was a bit of set-up. The music is pretty standardized punk too. A bit like a punk Spinal Tap or warped boy band. Carlos who?
    This is good punk? … OK boss, whatever you say.

• The Flakes // Drummer says:

Eh you’ve missed The Nils? Likes when you call me the Boss too. Never forget to do that from now on.

• Tom says:

I really hope this isn’t an “Uncalled 4”-type setup but is the real deal. Are there any Canadians on the board who remembers them from back then?

Peter, how about if I call you “Guv’nor”?

• Roy Random says:

Hi, I left a comment below and as the EV’s singer I can tell you we were the real deal. We learned to play while in this band and got caught up in the whole scene. We played punk festivals, opened for The Viletones before they went rockabilly and headlined a few gigs. 7 of the 12 or so songs we wrote were recorded. The record’s producer got hold of us in 2006 to get the best source tape. I went back to Montreal in March of ’08 for the record launch. All of us went on to other bands. Rick and Carlos are still active in music. Guy and I are contemporary artists (painters).

3. Fabio says:

good … the real root

4. trgec says:

cheers…and thanks for this.I’m looking for this for some time and it’s good to hear’em.Not bad at all even is their song on myspace page (energie crisis) is my favourie…any chance to find more stuff by them?
    all the best and keep goin man

5. DLO says:

Very cool record and awesome TV punk band name! Hey, next you should post the Queen Haters from SCTV or Pain from Quincy!

6. sir hake says:

yeah its cool old style punk in best crisis,wall,art attacks,now,etc traditional 77 art style simple punk sound cool for djs.thank you kbd

7. elliott says:

great. thanks. yeah it does seam like bands had a lot more fun just destroying shit back then. funny story.

8. DLO says:

Punk episode of Quincy here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mUKQ1Zy5Qc

NEXT STOP NOWHERE!!!

9. what a killer surprise. Never heard of this’n. keep ’em comin’!
    check out: http://dudebehindtherecordcounter.com

10. Pelle Wengelin says:

Interesting

11. Roy Random says:

This is the singer from the Electric Vomit. I can assure you we were/are the real deal. Rick Trembles and I met when he was 15 and got the band together in Montreal a little more than a year after. We lasted a year and recorded 7 unreleased tracks. For more, check out Rick Trembles site http://www.snubdom.com, though I remember things a little differently than his written history. I am now a non-objective painter.

12. Anna Malin says:

Roy, as much as your art sounds cool from the description I read on Facebook, the shipping would kill my budget. But thanks for the offer.

Instead I have been asked to commission a modest piece from one of the art agitators in Voina, in part because of a song called “All Cops are Bastards,” but more because shipping from Russia to Sweden is as affordable as shipping from South Carolina to Alabama.

13. Merrylew says:

Vraiment très bon! Dommage que je n’étais pas encore née à l’époque!