The Mutants – So American/Piece O’ Shit 7″

Out of the 3 punk bands named the Mutants I know of, these cats are my favourites. The singer reminds me of Glen Danzig, and it’s impossible for anyone to think they came from anywhere but Detroit. Everything from the music and the production to their cute faces says that they belong there. And cute they are, especially Pat, even if Steve ain’t too far behind.

I think this smasher is so good that I don’t even mind the piano. How about you, you piece o’ shit!

Year: 1978
Label: FTM
So American.mp3
Piece o’ shit.mp3

This entry was posted in 1978. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to The Mutants – So American/Piece O’ Shit 7″

1. Monger says:

I have this and never cared much for it…i think they have a 2nd 7″ as well

2. jame says:

Piece o shit was okay. Rock n rollin vegetable gave me a smile. Sounded like a very fast bassline in there. It reminded me of Suicide Commandos too. I didn’t like the other side. Cheesey.

3. 60382 says:

Bad rip, i hear only one speaker..hhmmmm

• The Flakes // Drummer says:

Yeah it wanders left and right in my speakers too. Martin, is this the way the record sound?

• Martin says:

Can’t hear the wandering, but if you say so I guess it’s true. Since my computer crashed it’s totally fukked and got a life of it’s own that I can’t control unfortunately. Will do a re-rip and see if I can get it better.

4. sir hake says:

i was working in a record shop by vince lombardy highschool records in the end of the 80s in hamburg. a little funtastic record shop, specialised in old punk post punk ,and more obscurities this single was on of my and vince great records .i covered piece o shit with my old band sheep on a tree in 1990 thats was this is a real masterpiece.thank you kbd.ps the other tree mutants are cool but this is amazing.

5. Nikolas says:

YEAHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    THIS IS SERIOUS SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Chan Horsetinez says:

“Piece ‘o Shit” sounds like an homage to the Stooges

7. Dan says:

This came out with yellow labels & as a 1 sided “So American” test pressing, then there’s a version with red labels and slightly different sleeve, the back is red & has TM after The Mutants on the front. Second single also has two pressings. (Yellow & blue sleeve then yellow & purple.)

8. nathan.G says:

Man, this record is lightning!!! Happy America day everyone!

9. Matt says:

Where can i find the mutants song big machine

10. Matto says:

Hey thanks for posting this! I’ve been looking for Piece o’ Shit for YEARS. I love the song and it brings back good memories of when I first started playing music. And it still sounds great.