La Peste – S/T 7″

Better Off Dead is such a killer song and was included on some of the KBD comps that I’m too lazy to check up on now. I guess haunting would be the best way to describe it. That simple guitar tone in the intro tells it all. The flip is ugly, ok.

Well, well, she started to grin

So I slid it right in and she said
“it feels so good”,
and she dragged me off the bed

You’ll be better off dead
Hey! Well, alright

Well then your mother came in
She was picking her chin she said
Keep your hands off my daughter
You’ll be better off dead
The girl’s only thirteen
She ain’t never given head
So you better keep your hands off her
Your hands will turn red
( From: http://www.elyrics.net/read/l/la-peste-lyrics/better-off-dead-lyrics.html )

You’ll be better off dead
Hey! Well, alright.

That’s where your father came in
He was picking his chin she said
Keep your hands off my daughter
You’ll be better off dead
The girl’s only thirteen
She ain’t never given head
So you better keep your hands off her
Your hands will turn red

Dead, dead, dead
(She’ll be better off dead)
Dead, dead, dead
(She’ll be better off dead)

Year: 1978
Label: Black
Better Off Dead.mp3
Black.mp3

This entry was posted in 1978. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to La Peste – S/T 7″

1. Stephen (AI) says:

Killer guitar + cardboard drums + thin production + stupid lyrics = a classic!

Too bad about the B-side.

2. Stieg Heil says:

I vote against the union, betray the global workers’ movement, in exchange for a pay cut and an extra week off, go on my first vacation in years (as is the American habit), and then Peter gets a meth habit and posts a hundred records while I’m away! I would have preferred a non-frog inspired record but “Vive La Commune,” or whatever! Bourgeois: “I never liked politics.” Proletarian: “That’s precisely why I am putting a bullet in your head!” Punk, thanks!

3. EEK says:

Maybe I’m weird, but I gotta say, I like the B Side.

4. sir hake says:

for me on of the best punk singles alltime.thank you kbd.

5. Jordan Kratz says:

I was a personal friend of these guys and their Drummer joined my band, The Transplants” so we could play shows.
    I also did a bunch of Loft & Live At Clubs Audio Recordings of LaPeste.
    I put together the Dionysus CD Album Release and I also put together the Rave Up Records Vinyl LP.
    LaPeste was one of Boston, Mass earliest Punk Bands.Their sound would be called Art Rock I guess but to tell the truth it was all PUNK then in early 1977.
    Check out these bands from around the same time who were part of the Boston Scene.
    Nervous Eaters, Real Kids, Willie Loco Alexander, Unnatural Axe, Thrills, The Destroyed, Baby’s Arm (became Classic Ruins), The Girls, DMZ, Third Rail.
    This is a good example of many of the Acts you saw at The Rat,The Club, The Space, and Cantones 1976-79.There were still more bands but I got to run.

6. Cliff Vicious says:

And there was me thinking they.were stinking of gin all this time…

7. herb says:

Death from above 1979 put a really half assed cover of this song out on an extras cd of their full length.

8. hdvns says:

Killer. I like the B side and in fact I put the album up on my site awhile back. Cheers!

9. Stig Dangerman says:

Only 13 never given head? This is the case against single mothers!

• Fred Holland says:

I was a roadie for these guys after Peter.
      And the always sang ” stinking of gin”
      But for some reason Peter did sing ” she said” instead of “He said” when her father came in. So I guess that part is correct. No one ever ” picked their chin”
      May be hard off haring now, but not now. Heard that song hundreds of times.