Violent Tumor – S/T E.P. 7″

Elusive HC record from Chicago. Has to be one of the last truly great HC records. Sloppy with great feeling and funny ideas, like the genre was in the golden years 80-83. I know nothing about them except what I’ve found on the interwebs. 100 copies pressed and originally released without a sleeve though a band pressed sleeve turned up later on. Anyone got good scans? Maybe some Chicagoners can enlighten us? Tony?

They were unusual because three of their four members were black. Chicago at that time was very racially conservative. Their 7″, EP has become a cult favorite among the under ground punk scene and is coveted by hardcore collectors.

Year: 1986
Label: Tumor Head
Abortion.mp3
Basket Case.mp3
Problems.mp3
99 Floors.mp3
Runnin Machine.mp3
Welcome Home.mp3
Tool Box.mp3
Army Song.mp3

This entry was posted in 1986. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Violent Tumor – S/T E.P. 7″

1. Hmm, I have never heard this record before- thanks for posting! Which means of course that I don’t have a copy. Hopefully I never passed it over in a used bin over the years (!)- sometimes I used to flip right past sleeveless records. The writeup of the Violent Tumor EP on Discogs (which is very informative by the way and presumably done someone in the band or someone that knows the band) mentions that it was recorded in Maywood, Illinois and I know exactly where that is. Unlikely place to have a HC band from that ‘burb though! Every trip I now make to a record store or record show will involve looking for this Violent Tumor EP. What a great band name too.

• Hansome says:

Hah, I love everything about this post I too was a tegnaee/early-twentysomething punk rock kid, I’ve kept a few choice things fashion related, and it always makes me so happy to wear them again and rework them in new ways. And I just realized while I was reading this that I had some EC Star stuff too, including a pretty neat kind of gauzy long-sleeved shirt with gun silhouettes screen printed on it wish I knew what happened to it!

2. jt says:

Often overrated but nonetheless a good 7′.’ Been looking for this for years but non such luck.

3. MAFFISH says:

Holy Cow!!! I’ve only heard of this record and never really thought it actually existed!! I’m from Chicago (and my name is Tony, although, I’m not Mr. Punk Rock Business Manager Tony) and man….freaking THANK YOU for posting.

It’s real now.

4. Chano says:

Cool!! Until now i had only read about this ep and now that i’ve finally heard it i have to say that it’s not bad at all. Sure it sounds a bit sloppy and generic but has a certain rough charm that makes it appealing! Thanks for enlightening me once again, Pete! ;)

5. G O D says:

THE 30TH ANNIVERSRY TRIBUTE CD “NOT SO QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT” IS OUT NOW ,FOR MORE DETAILS ,GO HERE:

6. laurent says:

I don’t remember where I found these scans, possibly from the Violation blog, back when I thought the man behind it was respectable & interesting.
    But don’t take my biased point of view for granted and if you are in good terms with him, maybe he could share some infos with you.

7. Clinton Chapman says:

From the rock song opening the B side, to the three rippers at the end, this EP has always been one of my favourites. It sums up USHC-P for me. I just love it. Most don’t know this record, which is a sad state of affairs. I traded my last copy of The Worst 12″ to obtain this from Felix Havoc. He had obtained two from a radio station in his home town I think. Both sleeveless. I guess the sleeved versions are all around California where the main band guy lives. I only have a photocopied sleeve, from Martin Crudos. After he photocopied the sleeve for me he tore his front cover almost in half as he put the vinyl back in the cover. I knew a few people who owned this, but sadly I only discovered it once they’d parted with their copy. One day I’ll own a copy with a sleeve.

8. chris_c says:

Thanks for sharing. From the comments above I’m probably going to like this.

9. Tom Newark says:

I was in Violent Tumor… I sang the song Welcome Home. It’s good to see some people still remember us. The 7″ is extremely rare. The number pressed was in the hundreds, but not all of them made it into circulation. It originally didn’t have a sleeve. The sleeve was added later on when we released more copies.

We have a facebook page… right now there is very limited information up there, but I plan to update it this week. I will put a history of the band up there and also information about the record.

Currently Mike, Howard and I are getting together. We are writing some new songs so we should have something by summer. I plan on getting the 7″ remastered and hopefully re-released. There seems to be some interest in it.

We also can be reached at
    [email protected]

10. KURT SARNAU says:

PLEASE HAVE HOWARD CONTACT ME OR MIKE AT 815 261 8588

11. KURT SARNAU says:

ADDENDUM HOWARD LOOK MAN I APOLOGIZE AND WANT TO DO
    SOME SONGS I GOT A SONG SLIK SLIK MY WIK WIK AND EVERYONE
    LOVES IT .WE ALL WRITE IT. IT DONT MATTER TIME IS RUNNING OUT.
    SO LETS MAKE MUSIC MONEY AND WOMEN. CALL 815 261 8588

12. peskypesky says:

super interesting! And, of course, it rocks.