Technycolor – S/T 7″

technycolor_fronttechnycolor_back
technycolor_label_atechnycolor_label_b

A total KILLER that I first downloaded while having an Erichtion, but it took me years to figure out where I downloaded it from til I stumbled upon it again over at Erich’s excellent site, and figured out it was there I heard it the first time. So much great stuff there, and such excellent writing on most of it as well.

So, I don’t know anything about this band at all, but I know that Tot 77 is one of the greatest songs ever! So clever, catchy and full of weird ideas. A great mix between straight ahead punk and really cool slightly arty stuff, but don’t let that scare you away as I’m pretty sure it’s impossible to not understand the greatness of that song. And it really is as catchy as the flu.

Bunker is a great song as well, no doubt about it, but I’d pick the b-side over that one any given day. The chorus is super catchy, and the band is up there with Those Intinsic Intellectuals when it comes to being just a bit too clever for rock n’ roll.
Is there anyone French speaking person out there who’s willing to let me know what the lyrics are about?

This is a mandatory download by the way!

Country: Switzerland
Year: 1979
Label: Another Swiss Label
Bunker.mp3
Tot 77.mp3

This entry was posted in 1979. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Technycolor – S/T 7″

1. Stephen (AI) says:

Fuck, this is the nun’s nuts. Really amazing. Best Punk song with a gong ever! Thank you Martin, thank you Erich for hooking a sister up. I dropped my bread cube in the fondue when I heard it. “Bunker” reminds me of Strychnine’s “Lache Moi” the way it keeps winding up, but maybe that’s cause both dudes are singing in French. Luckily there’s a girl here who worked briefly in a French tourist office in 1984. “Tot 77″ starts something like, “It’s certainly a little too late to want to talk about all these guys blah blah blah They have all killed themselves … Work will make you free … Nazis, Nazis, etc.,” while “Bunker” is about a happy holdout in his pillbox, listening to Wagner and Mahler at the bottom of his hole: “2024, I am alone in my bunker .. Outside, inside, outside, inside — there is no one in my bunker!” This fantastic little record reminds me of early Ubu and the Endtables. Yeah, that good. I love that there are still records this great from 1979 I’ve never even heard of. Fuck, what a year!

Just one comment here and one on Facebook! You guys should be ashamed for not recognicing greatness when it’s right in front of you!

3. Stephen (AI) says:

As always, Martin is right. Ten stars.

4. ian says:

wow – this is THE shit! Just spun this 3 times back to back…Tot 77 has classic written all over it! Cheers

5. Dirk says:

Well, I’m not french speking, but Tot 77 (dead 77) deals with the death night in high-security prison Stuttgart-Stammheim 18. Okt 1977, when top RAF (Red Army Fraction) terrorists Andreas Baader, Gudrun Ensslin and Jan-Carl Raspe committed suicide in their solitary prison cells. Hours before German elite squad GSG9 ended the plane hi-jacking in Mogadishu. The hi-jackers demanded the release of the terrorists. As Raspe heard the news about the failure on the radio he owned, he informed his comrades via the manipulated intercom system in each cell, so they agreed on mutual suicide the same night. Baader and Raspe used guns which have been smuggled inside the prison by their lawyers, Ensslin hung herself with a cable at the crossbar.

There are two consipracy theories, first claiming that secret service killed them letting it look like suicide, second that they knew about the suicide plans from monitoring the manipulated intercom, but had a hands-off approach to get rid of them easily.

“Arbeit macht frei” (work makes free) was the gateway inscription of many German concentration camps like in Auschwitz, Dachau, Theresienstadt etc.
    They connected this Nazi perversion with the breaking up of the terrorist organisation singing “Stammheim macht frei” resp. “Helmut macht frei” which is clearly dedicated to then German chancellor Helmut Schmidt.

Well, this is one of my all time faves!

6. Chano says:

I’ve tried to listen to both songs several times, but i really can’t get into this band. I don’t know… There’s something about it that just doesn’t click. Sorry, Martin. Thanks for taking the time anyway! :-)

• Martin says:

I’m surprised Chano, to me everything with this record clicked right away. You don’t have to dig it though, but it will make me feel less about you;)

7. Thomas says:

Nice one, indeed – and extremely rare, too.
    Swiss Punk now – a small country with a lot of interesting bands between 1977-1982 and they even put out a lot of great records, too.
    Technycolor came from the french speaking area of Switzerland and the lyrics, as far as I can understand them, are really controversial about the dead of the Stammheim 3 in 1977 in “Tot 77″ and “Bunker” has a more post-punkish lyrical vein about isolation and desperation.
    Anyway, I’ve heard, that later the singer of Technycolor turned into the manager of Swiss Pop star DJ Bobo, but maybe this is just a rumour!

• Tim Squid says:

The manager of DJ Bobo was Gutze Gautschi, Singer of Fresh Color!

Love this single. Unfortunately, their second is dreadful!!

8. Poseur5000 says:

Holy fuck. This is rad. I love the story associated with it. Its totally fucked up. They just don’t make shit like this anymore. Thank you!

9. Global60 says:

Hi. First, thanx for your really good website. Then, well, I’m french and gonna try to explain few things : this band from swissland is a skinhead band, not fare from nazi-skinhead. Here is a translation of “Bunker” :
    1st verse : As soon as there will be war, a good nuclear war, I will go alone in my bunker
    chorus : And there at the bottom of my hole, I will listen Wagner and Mahler (Hitler -2nd chorus) I will not be afraid of those crazy, all these dirty and vulgar punks
    2nd verse : There will be a woman in my bunker, once finished, I will deflate her, I will love her and she’ll never talk to me
    3rd verse : July 24, 2024, I’m all alone in my bunker, sometimes a bit of nostalgia, I remember military parades. Now, outside or inside, there is no one … in my bunker.

So it’s obvious that this band was obsessed by Germany, as both songs refers to, and destroying “dirty” punks. The fact is, as many subversive songs, that these ones are good. French punk bands between 1977 and 1984 were sometimes really subversive, check out bands like Discolokosst (even the name is) or Camera Silens and Metal Urbain, for exemple. Cheers.

• The Flakes // Drummer says:

Technycolor nazis :)? The lyric references are your typical ironic and cynical punk lyrics. Nothing nazi about them.

• François says:

I agree , typical ’77 provocation in my opinion the music is very ambitious and somewhere misses its target.