The Government – Hemingway Hated Disco Music 7″

government_back
government_label_agovernment_label_b

Here’s a REAL punk record for once. If I can figure out the lyrics Hemingway hated disco music cause it was kind of gay? If not I don’t care. It’s about how disco sucks or something. Good enough. I only… drives into the arty punk department and crashes. Sometimes it’s good sometimes a bit too goofy even for me. The Government released a couple of other records that haven’t caught my ears but I still haven’t heard their LP from the same year as the release of this. Any good?

Country: Canada
Year: 1979
Label: Self Released
Hemingway Hated Disco Music.mp3
I Only Drive My Car At Night.mp3

This entry was posted in 1979. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to The Government – Hemingway Hated Disco Music 7″

1. M says:

Pair of bangers, for sure.

Interestingly, the cover of this one is featured prominently on the sleeve of the new Fucked Up 12″, which has a ton of great old Canadian punk records on it.

2. Kurt says:

The Government were genre benders. A little punk, a little new wave, a lot arty. Both the 33 1/3 EP and the live soundtrack Electric Eye LP are worth having. Neither are solid gold, but the high points are pretty awesome.

e.g.

3. anarkistattak says:

Why delete my comment?

4. Chano says:

Both songs are pretty good with my personal pick on “Hemingway”. It’s strange… They kinda reminds me of Minutemen, but i couldn’t really tell you why… Thanks, i’ve never heard this before.

At first listen I didn’t think too much actually, but it grew on me. The guitar tone is great as well.

6. James says:

Their best song to my mind was Flat Tire. Zippers of Fire was also fun. The guitarist was Jeremiah Chechik, who went on to direct some Hollywood films including Christmas Vacation. :)