X – Adult Books 7″

x_adult_frontx_adult_backx_adult_inside
x_adult_label_ax_adult_label_b

Ouch the site has been a pain in the ass lately. Consuming loads of RAM which made me try some different things to see what the fuck is happening. Yes a new theme. It’s cleaner and leaner though I’m more fond of the old one. Let’s see what happens. Don’t forget to click the g00gle ads ;).

One of my most beloved sleeves. Especially the back with the photo of Exene is fantastic!! Great job Jules Bates. The lyrics to Adult Books don’t make much sense to me but with what I know so far is the first reference to Tomata of The Screamers in a song. On the flip we find the best X track in my (adult) book, We’re Desperate. Has all the ingredients of a classic: unique arrangement, great lyrics and a bass with a bubbly “aquarium” sound.

And no X is not obscure, since they even landed a major label contract, but since we all need those Dangerhouse releases here it’s appropriate to post it.

Year: 1978
Label: Dangerhouse
Adult Books.mp3
We’re Desperate.mp3

This entry was posted in 1978. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to X – Adult Books 7″

Aww, yes, the great X 7″…the one I sought after at every record store in Southern California from 1979 to 1985 and never found. It truly sickens me to search for something for so long and never find it. True classic, thanks. I like the new layout of your page.

2. First I never found one and now, with ebay, I never cared to spend too much for it. Beats me why though, cause this is one fucking great great great record that makes me feel 8873 feet high whenever I hear these two songs.
    The new layout is better, me thinks, though the colors still change every 5 minutes. Looks like Peter is turning the knobs behind the scenes. Keep it up. Metal rules. 666

3. PS: The comments now get through in no time. Unreal! Is that because of the extra ram? Do you know the song “The Ram” by Manilla Road? It shreds.

4. Chris g says:

seems like the lyrics are just about people who’re always cruising for a quick lay

5. Nelson Lonigan says:

For a great blog like this, I will click on the ads every time I visit!

6. Very early X is so damn good, I never cared for their later more polished sounding stuff. This single is their high point for me. “We’re Desperate” is just amazing especially Billy Zoom’s guitar noodling. “Adult Books” is slower but so creative and original. And I love the sleeve too, especially the front! I kinda miss the pink background on your site, it feels a little weird not having it there after several years- it was kind of like one of your trademarks ;)

Only for you Tony! The pink background is back :).

Yeah Erich more RAM makes the difference and getting rid of some nasty plug ins.

Thanks a lot Nelson! It really makes a huge difference.

9. EEK says:

Great tracks from one of the greatest bands of all time! Love it. My fav song is “Some Other Time” followed by “We’re Desperate”.

10. roman says:

i didn’t like x when i heard them for the first time. after some time i watched “decline of western civilization”, and i realized i was criminally overlooking one helluva brilliant band. “we’re desperate” is definitely one of the best punk rock songs ever recorded!

11. Adamski says:

I always had a bit of a “fear” of listening to X, after reading some write-ups on them mentioning their “rockabilly”/”rocknroll” edge. But when I took the plunge (& the fact that I no longer just listened to fast hardcore exclusively) I found a great band! Love it when John & Exene do their harmonies & these are two of their best songs.

Feels like an AA meeting. People start to confess their love for X here ;).

13. phlegm says:

since when did tomata like girls?

14. Oi, thanks a bundle for the scans! FINALLY I know what the lyrics are. It´s “Jackie Susann meant it that way”. What´s it she meant? Well a quick google told me she wrote “Valley of the Dolls”.

And while I´m here I could tell you that I ripped the classic “Pogo Punks” Swiss Punk compilation. On moi miserable little blog.

15. Ian says:

I never caught that screamers reference “do plenty people go for tomata” until I saw these scans!

16. Pingback: Jessie

17. Brian Thrasher says:

I have Darby Crash from the Germs personal copy of this X 7″
    Its signed by both John Doe and Exine to Darby Crash.

18. moslem birth says:

Brian Thrasher, that is awesome. i once saw a picture of that very 7″ you own now in a fanzine…Xerox to Death fanzine? maybe it was something that Drew Blood had published before he died…anyhow, sweet piece of history!